Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys! Sorry if there's already a post about this, but I was wondering if there was anyone out there that edits concert photos regularly. If that's you then YAY!

Do you have any tips/advice on lighting in concert photos? I know some people like their subjects dark and the lights really bright, but I'm not too sure how to get that effect. I'm learning something new every day!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

Honestly, photography is photography. Post up a photo you're having issues with and you'll get some good responses.

And a couple rants, but that's just the flavor here. lol

Not a concert photographer, I spend my time on the stage more than shooting it, however I do take my camera to shows once in a while.

For me, getting the subject to pop has been less about post and more about the actual venue you're shooting. Most stages are black, the backgrounds are black or dark, and the lighting is right on your musicians or center stage. First things first, you're going to just need to go to some shows and start snapping like crazy. The bigger problem you're going to find is focus - focusing in the dark is really, really tough, and you'll spend a lot of time at less than desirable ISOs in order to get a shutter speed fast enough. Musicians are moving, always, and you'll learn quickly that you'll need to account for that.

8671700569_fe403ab7f8_z.jpg

The shot I tossed in doesn't really have much post work on it, a quick run to adjust a few levels/WB, but not much at all. Concert photos are tough, I'm sure some people who spend more time doing it will chime in, but the whole point of my long, rambling post is to get out to some shows and snap. I've seen you posting all about concert photography for a bit so I thought I'd share a little. Lights change with the beat, so each shot will be different, there's not really a solid answer... My two cents, YMMV.

Also, head to www.ishootshows.com - that guy is my favorite concert photographer and has some really, really awesome tips. Sorry this post wasn't hugely related to LR or software.

Not a concert photographer, I spend my time on the stage more than shooting it, however I do take my camera to shows once in a while.

For me, getting the subject to pop has been less about post and more about the actual venue you're shooting. Most stages are black, the backgrounds are black or dark, and the lighting is right on your musicians or center stage. First things first, you're going to just need to go to some shows and start snapping like crazy. The bigger problem you're going to find is focus - focusing in the dark is really, really tough, and you'll spend a lot of time at less than desirable ISOs in order to get a shutter speed fast enough. Musicians are moving, always, and you'll learn quickly that you'll need to account for that.

8671700569_fe403ab7f8_z.jpg

The shot I tossed in doesn't really have much post work on it, a quick run to adjust a few levels/WB, but not much at all. Concert photos are tough, I'm sure some people who spend more time doing it will chime in, but the whole point of my long, rambling post is to get out to some shows and snap. I've seen you posting all about concert photography for a bit so I thought I'd share a little. Lights change with the beat, so each shot will be different, there's not really a solid answer... My two cents, YMMV.

Also, head to www.ishootshows.com - that guy is my favorite concert photographer and has some really, really awesome tips. Sorry this post wasn't hugely related to LR or software.

Thanks!! And yes!!! I am constantly on his page. He is amazing. I'll have to look around for more info, though :)

Most reactions

Back