nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Clickbait? Possibly.

Seriously though, Lightroom Classic CC and Lightroom CC was updated this morning and it now uses Adobe Sensei when clicking the auto button when editing your photos. It uses machine learning to give the best adjustments to your images.

One thing that I am a little confused with is that it's basing these edits from a database of thousands of professional photos with manual edits so Lightroom can edit your photos like a human...however...they mentioned it was "Machine Learning" so will Lightroom actually learn your style of editing and apply that as best as it can with one a button click? If so...that is pretty freaking cool. But I'm not sure if that's how its working.

I've never liked the results the auto button did to my images but after this update, I can confirm it is so much better and actually provides an EXCELLENT starting point.

If you have Lightroom, I suggest you update it and play around with. They also made some adjustments to the range mask tool as well to more define things to make it more precise.

Check it out here > New features summary for the October 2017 and later releases of Lightroom Classic CC

so maybe finally an auto button that doesn't make the image look like completely overexposed garbage? no way. it's adobe.

Just updated will check it out

looks like it does the same thing as always, but it might go through your catalog and compare it to the histogram to come up with better edits based on the way you apply them.

I've always found the auto button close, but the exposure is always like WAY too aggressive. but it almost always nails the black and white clipping point and highlight/shadow levels pretty well.

looks like it does the same thing as always, but it might go through your catalog and compare it to the histogram to come up with better edits based on the way you apply them.

I've always found the auto button close, but the exposure is always like WAY too aggressive. but it almost always nails the black and white clipping point and highlight/shadow levels pretty well.

Before it never adjusted the black slider and the sat/vib sliders. I don't think it's as aggressive as it once was, it's a little bit more realistic I think.

I'm really wondering it becomes better as you edit your photos because honestly..come on..that's kind of neat lol.

I don't mind it as a starting point though, gets me to where I wanna be quicker.

mine has always adjusted blacks, but never clarity, vibrancy, and saturation. it's interesting for sure. I typically hit the auto button to see what LR comes up with and go from there.

Before for me, it would always just make it a pseudo HDR image lol.

Haven't tried it yet so will reserve judgement for now. However it seems a little counterintuitive to shooting manual in the first place. Why not shoot in full auto?

Haven't tried it yet so will reserve judgement for now. However it seems a little counterintuitive to shooting manual in the first place. Why not shoot in full auto?

I'm pretty positive that's a little different lol.

It's a just a great starting point when processing RAW files. It doesn't always work, but with the new AI, it makes it a little better and apparently it learns from your editing style and applies it. So could save time when editing. But you DON'T have to use it. However, it doesn't hurt to at least try it out anyways.

I still prefer to process them from scratch but if the new auto AI gets me closer to where I wanna be with one button...that's awesome.

not really. you MUST process photos -- especially RAW ones. If you shoot jpg, you're just allowing the camera to process them for you -- regardless of how you decided to end up at your final exposure value.

I shoot manual most the time, and still try to expand the DR in most my shots. There's much more latitude in the image after the data has been collected, than your initial image preview.

My processing workflow almost always starts with just clipping the blacks and same with the whites, then reducing highlights if needed, and finally pull out any shadow details. Then adjusting the WB warmer.

If LR actually "remembers" your processing style and can replicate it with an easy button that's pretty cool.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back