Lightroom Presets

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by stapo49, Nov 6, 2019.

1. stapo49

stapo49 Been spending a lot of time on here!

I am just wondering if anyone uses or used Lightroom presets? Are they useful? A waste of money?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

2. Amy30

Amy30 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi, I have used them and they are very useful. Installation of presets in Lightroom used to be annoying you’d have to download them, find your presets folder, drag them over , it was a rigmarole that discouraged many from downloading and using presets in the first place.
    you can sync it with your mobile app too.

3. stapo49

Do you recommend any or they all much the same? I am constantly seeing ads from different people spruking their presets.

4. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I have a large collection of presets free, purchased and my own. Occasionally I use them, mostly the ones I've saved of specific functions. I've found the AI ability of the "Auto" button a good first stop. It gets it close enough that I can dial in the final adjustments quickly. For finishing I rely heavily on a large collection of Profiles. Profiles can be added before, during or after slider adjustments because they have no effect on the sliders, plus the opacity adjustment lets you really dial in the effect, much like a layer in Ps.

• Like Like x 1
  5. stapo49

Interesting, thanks. As I mentioned earlier there are a lot of people spruking their presets for sale online. Can you recommend one or two options?

6. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I like the VSCO film ones. They have camera profiles as well as curves that accompany the adjustments.

• Like Like x 1
  7. stapo49

Thanks. I will check them out.

8. smoke665

Photos OK to edit
    Some of the best presets you'll find are the ones you save because they refle t your style. That said there are a ton of free ones out there that let you try before you buy. Once you download and try a few, make note of the develop module settings, and play with making your own. For purchase VSCO as mentioned above is good, as is Portraits Presets for Lightroom and Photoshop ACR and Lightroom Profiles | Matt Kloskowski for profiles. ON1 has some free profiles for Lr also. The bad thing about presets is they are going to look different on every image. Profiles have the advantage of letting you adjust the opacity for effect.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I got a bunch of free presets from Matt k a few years ago, and I am still using them. I like presets, and you can adjust their effect, and can save and rename them, allowing you to arrive at custom presets that reflect the way you see things.

I think that presets are really useful, and can tremendously speed up your editing. Fairly famous fashion photographer Lindsay Adler has an excellent YouTube tutorial on what presets are, and how to save and rename them.

I have found that using two or three presets to edit one picture can lead to some truly interesting looks. I think sometimes a good idea is to use a preset in color , and then to convert to black-and-white, which can lead to some very cool looking black and white images. One of my favorite presets was one called Ultimate Fighter and I used to really like to convert color images with the ultimate fighter preset and then to adjust the image to be a black and white

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    The Matt K video that smoke665 linked us to is well worth the watch! The new implementation of profiles and color lookup tables is remarkable. Finally after 12 long years, Lightroom has been revolutionized.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  11. smoke665

Photos OK to edit
    Profiles in Lr have been around since last year, but it seems many have been slow to use them. Once they do they find out what an amazing feature it is. It's fairly easy to make your own custom LUT's for Ps or Profiles for Lr.

FYI: ON1 has a plugin for Lr that I really want to try. Right now it's free. , ON1 Effects 2019 – ON1 howeve, for some reason I haven't been able to get the entire file to download without crapping out. It's a fairly large file and I suspect there's a lot of traffic on the server.

• Like Like x 1
  12. stk

stk No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

I don't see the point unless it's important that all your images have a similar look. But then you should probably make your own preset.

My experience is only from using my own and/or free presets. Maybe the expensive ones are betters, but I struggle to see how.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019