Lightroom Presets

One of the advantages to having quite a few presets loaded into your copy of Lightroom is that you can pull the mouse pointer down over the list and in just a second or two determine if the particular image would work well with that preset; as Matt k said in his video, a preset is not automatically appropriate for every file type. Sometimes a light image needs vastly different settings. For example if the preset adds + 1.5 EV then that preset as written might not look good on a very light file , but it might be just what a dark picture needs. It only takes a few seconds for me to make the needed changes or adjustments to a preset as it has been applied to a raw file . Presets are a huge Time Saver , and as smoke mentioned, they can help unify the look of a group of files. Many people don't have enough actual experience with presets for their negative or dismissive attitudes to carry much weight. It's like asking are umbrellas useful in studio lighting?Yes, they are, even in this age of the cheap made-in-China softbox and the uber-expensive European giant parabolics and octoboxes.

Last edited:
there's a difference between "similar" and "same". Maybe I'm wrong

I haven't been around Lr as long as some of the others, but I'm a quick study. Anything that adds to or detracts from efficiency in the process gets my attention. I've come to realize that image post processing begins before the shutter snaps, not after. It's unfortunate but there seems to be a misunderstanding by many, that by buying a Preset they can with one click magically make their image look just like the sample. I've also found that by considering the processing before, in the time it takes to choose a preset, and adjust it for the image, I can put the settings where I want in the first place. Then utilizing the Sync feature, with one click, process all my images the same for the set.

Even though I have a rather large library of preset I find myself using them less for actual image processing. I do make a habit of dissecting a preset to see how they achieved the look so I can incorporate or modify it for my use.

Thanks for the input guys.

I ended up buying a couple of preset bundles including brushes for A$40. I am going back over my old images and trying them out.

I am finding the brushes really useful to apply changes to areas within the image.

The Nik pre-sets are still free. Nice range of effects backed up with helpful online tutorials.

Interesting. I noted on their website they don't provide any support for the free version. I had the original plugin for Lr until last fall, when I upgraded computer I couldn't find anything but the paid version. Frankly with all the latest upgrades to Lr, including Profiles, I rarely used it anyhow.

Interesting. I noted on their website they don't provide any support for the free version. I had the original plugin for Lr until last fall, when I upgraded computer I couldn't find anything but the paid version. Frankly with all the latest upgrades to Lr, including Profiles, I rarely used it anyhow.
Why would you expect support--like you really need it?--on a free product? Numerous how-to videos online.The old free version greatly enhances downmarket programs like Elements. Besides Nik allows for saved recipes with what looks like easier access. YMMV, as always.

Last edited:

Why would you expect support--like you really need it?--on a free product? Numerous how-to videos online.The old free version greatly enhances downmarket programs like Elements. Besides Nik allows for saved recipes with what looks like easier access. YMMV, as always.

Wasn't a comment that I needed it, merely a statement from their web site. As I said earlier, Lr updates have eliminated any need I might have had for Nik.

I am just wondering if anyone uses or used Lightroom presets? Are they useful? A waste of money?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Hey man!

I'm a photo editor and I work with Lightroom for 4 years. Lightroom presets are very uself an I totally recommend using them. You can visit this website here. This website has lots of FREE and easy to use presets! Totally recommend!

virselis-1.jpg

Link: Easy Lightroom Presets | Free lightroom presets for Mobile and Desktop

Most reactions

New Topics

Back