Links for on-camera flash use?

sincere

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
is there something like strobist for on - camera flash users? It is late so maybe i am not thinkingthis all the way through but i cant see what i could take from this for on -cam photography since the flash is not on the camera.

Uhh what ? Flash on the hot shoe of the camera ? Or tethered electronically ? I am tired too, so what are you shooting ?

Looking for a resourceful site like storbist on using flash such as a speedlite ON camera, nothing else :)

Considering the mantra at Strobist and amongst most photograhers is "Get the **** flash off the camera", and with good reason, um...not so much. Getting the flash even a little off camera is very important and opens a myriad of options to you. I suggest you understand thoroughly why they highly encourage you to get the **** thing off camera before you consider using it on camera for any length of time. You can use flash on the shoe effectively, to be sure, but it takes the knowledge of knowing its limitations and not trying to go against them.

Having the flash on the camera limits you. Always.

If you need to use flash indoors in tight spaces and you're shooting fast (running and gunning, so to speak), I highly suggest getting the Presslite Vertex. It works wonders indoors. Not very helpful at all outside, but it gives an immense amount of control inside with ETTL/iTTL.

Considering the mantra at Strobist and amongst most photograhers is "Get the **** flash off the camera", and with good reason, um...not so much. Getting the flash even a little off camera is very important and opens a myriad of options to you. I suggest you understand thoroughly why they highly encourage you to get the **** thing off camera before you consider using it on camera for any length of time. You can use flash on the shoe effectively, to be sure, but it takes the knowledge of knowing its limitations and not trying to go against them.

Having the flash on the camera limits you. Always.

If you need to use flash indoors in tight spaces and you're shooting fast (running and gunning, so to speak), I highly suggest getting the Presslite Vertex. It works wonders indoors. Not very helpful at all outside, but it gives an immense amount of control inside with ETTL/iTTL.

Wait. Wouldnt it be assed backwards to learn off camera flash usage first? I should get my 430EX II within the next few days so i wanted to look into some things before i get it..

Not really. Get yourself a sync cord too (the OC-E3) and use that puppy off camera by say a foot or two. You'll have a lot more control over where the light goes. You can use the flash on-camera, sure, but you're limited to fill and boring bounce lighting (ceiling, wall, etc). I was surprised how quickly I wanted to get the darn thing off my camera. A week and I was fed-up with the limitations, and got that puppy off-camera (and after a few months of having my first flash I've got about four different ways of triggering them off camera, all with strengths and limitations...so keep in mind that I'm a bit of a flash nut now and think everything needs a flash...call it the McNally effect :lol: ).

Youre not hearing me. I need to learn basic, essential stuff about working with flash and i am pretty certain that working off camera is not the way to go ! :)

I think you don't understand that the basics of flash are 100% identical regardless where the light is coming from. The only difference is that when the light comes from the same angle as the camera you effectively kill all depth in the image.

You won't find a stobist style website for on camera flash is because while the flash is on camera your shots will suck so much more than if they are off camera. Ok so there's things you can do like it works well when used for fill flash (covered on strobist) or when dragging the shutter (covered on strobist) or when bounced off the roof (covered on strobist) or projected through some kind of diffuser (covered on strobist).

I'm not saying you need to jump straight in and use the flash off camera. I'm just saying go to strobist, look at lighting 101, and read the articles, most of which make sense even when using the flash on camera.... and then go buy a sync chord or a transmitter.

Some examples:
Strobist: Lighting 101: Bouncing off of Walls and Ceilings
Strobist: Lighting 101: Balancing Flash and Ambient, Pt 1
Strobist: Lighting 101: Using Gels to Correct Light

So those three cover bouncing, balancing light against your ambient, and colour correcting. That is all you need to know about using a flash on camera. The rest is just extrapolation.

can you help us understand why you're so dead set on keeping the flash on cam?
you've gotten some good advice in this thread.

I would also like to learn more about different techniques for better on camera flash. Off camera flash isn't always convenient/possible.

For the sake of this thread, can we keep it to on camera techniques? There's plenty of information out there regarding off camera flash.

If you don't agree or have any helpful input, fine... but some of us are interested learning more about this.

Example:
I'm at a family event and would like the best photos possible for the moment, but I am not sure where that moment will happen at any given time - I am not going to go around placing flash units everywhere.

Heck, it's not even something that is possible while shooting some wedding photos - so why not learn more about getting the most out of your gear in situations that don't allow for off camera flash?

Also, to me the Strobist site isn't for everyone - I tried, but for me the site really sucked to get information from.

Last edited:
There is on camera flash info out there (Internet) too, if you make the effort to find all the bits and pieces.

The OP was looking for something like Strobist but for on camera flash use. Trouble is, nothing like that seems to exists.

On camera is very limited, but not useless:
  • Direct: TTL, FEC, manual.
  • Bounce: from ceiling, walls, bounce card, assorted gizmo's, DIY.
  • Modifiers: assorted diffusers, really small softboxes, DIY.

Wait. Wouldnt it be assed backwards to learn off camera flash usage first? I should get my 430EX II within the next few days so i wanted to look into some things before i get it..

There is nothing stopping you from putting the flash on the camera except the desire for crappily lit pictures. :lmao:

There is also little to nothing to learn! You put it on the camera and it does the rest (via TTL).

There is the aspect of bouncing on camera flash, and that helps, but it is still WEAK compared to off camera flash and the control you then have.

Maybe this will help:
The Jerry Blog!: #2 - The Flash

Most reactions

New Topics

Back