listed my dslr on craigslist got an email. how to tell if legit?

fortybrandon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Listed my Pentax for sale I'm in tn. Checked my email and I got this

Are you able to ship to me in California?...i will pay shipping,kindly email back or just text me at phone number

Sent from my iPhone

How do I do this and do you think this is safe

Well we can't tell a scam from that - its basically no information.

Did your ad originally state that you'd ship to other states? If it did then it could be an honest approach - if not then I'd ignore it.

Also most scams are detected at key times - such as payment methods or strange postal setups. Eg being send a cheque for more than the agreed amount; or them giving you a significant "bonus" (basically the only bonus you might get is someone covering the 3% paypal fees for commercial transactions - ergo protected Paypal transfers); another is suggesting payment options like Western Union (basically untraceable). They could also ask you to ship to locations other than where they are paying you from (eg card registered in another city or state).

Basically play it safe - if anything smells odd just walk away from the deal.

Anytime I sell on Craigslist, if I even have the slightest doubt it could be a scam I delete the email and move on. Craigslist's big thing is deal locally anyway.

Why would they be from cali and looking in Tn for a camera? Is it that exotic or that good of a deal?

Unusually replays that want you to ship it are a scam. The best way to respond it so ether say local pickup only or to say you will ship but you must receive payment first. And if your going to do the second option don't accept paypal because I have heard stories of people canceling the payment after you ship it. If your going to ship it I would only accept a money order.

Sounds like a scam.

Anybody asking me to text them directly will mean they want my number, and not to deal in email. This to me screams they're gonna put my number on a scam list for some kind of con.

I prefer dealing in email, and so anybody asking for a number straight off, I delete.

If you are willing to accept Paypal you should let them know you will only ship to the confirmed address and you will ship it. That way you are protected with thier seller protection. Pay to have them sign for it as proof.
The normal scam is they want to handle the shipping (thier carrier will pick up) and they want it sent to thier son/daughter as a gift.
Or you can have them send you a check or money order and let them know you will ship after the funds clear, normally 3-4 business days.

Just don't respond. If it's a legit buyer, they'll contact you again. But odds are, the scammer has already forgotten about you.

Perhaps I am far too trusting in the inherent goodness of people. I would be happy to ship it, providing I had the money in hand first.

I was thinking the same thing - why if someone's in California would they contact a seller in TN?? Seems like people use Craigslist for local pickup (meetup). I would NOT give out a phone number and probably would delete/block any emails.

I usually respond with something totally non-sensical. Say, the DSLR gets 19 MPG, or has a batting average of .375. If you get a response that doesn't ask you WTH you're talking about..... well, that's one gigantic red flag.

It's a scam. End of story.

In every single CL post, I explicitly state:

"Dear scammer a$$holes, please note that I will never, ever, under any circumstances, ship this item. I don't care if you're U.S. military stationed overseas. I don't care if you're buying it for your brother who lives in London. And if you're a Nigerian prince, I won't even reply to your email."

Most reactions

New Topics

Back