Little dipper panorama.

Devinhullphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last night I walked out of the house and saw the Little Dipper. I grabbed my camera and took photos. I decided to try an nighttime panorama for the first time. I think it looks nice. Minus the truck top on the left.

Opinions? Tips?

It looks pretty out-of-focus when viewed large-ish. I like the idea, but I think a bit more work on composition is necessary - the lights in the lower left are distracting as they are so bright, and the foreground element is virtually non-existant. Try doing this out of a city with an interesting foreground and you'll be getting somewhere.

It looks pretty out-of-focus when viewed large-ish. I like the idea, but I think a bit more work on composition is necessary - the lights in the lower left are distracting as they are so bright, and the foreground element is virtually non-existant. Try doing this out of a city with an interesting foreground and you'll be getting somewhere.

Yeah as with all the photos I post with sky, there's "not enough foreground". I wanted a pic of the stars. I've seen that back field everyday for years and its a bore. I'm hours from the closest city and don't have time to go or else, believe me I would. I love the city. I hate this cornfield county crap. I miss living in Pittsburgh so much. Plus even when I was in a city, the stars rarely were visible.

As for the focus, it probably is. I haven't really gotten down what to focus on in a scene like this because I like to include 85% sky. A flat field just doesn't do anything for me. And yes the truckstop next door is bright but I don't wanna crop it out and maybe cut out the dipper.

I know this photo isn't much, but again I wanted the sky. And before its mentioned, yes I know the tree on left and the crap on bottom are ugly.

Attachments

• $image-2418164739.jpg
    $image-2418164739.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 91
Problem is, if you moved to the big city, your sky will just be a sick yellow with half a dozen stars barely visible.

Problem is, if you moved to the big city, your sky will just be a sick yellow with half a dozen stars barely visible.

I can only think of one time I could make out the dipper in my 4 years in the city. It was rare so me and my roommates just later in the grass at Point Park and watched for hours.

Pictures of the sky at night are beautiful!! :) I agree with what's been said: the top one is a little soft and the lights are a bit distracting - but it 's a great attempt, so keep trying! I like the second image a lot. You do have some what appears to be lens flare showing, though. Again - keep trying, you'll get it nailed with practice.

Pictures of the sky at night are beautiful!! :) I agree with what's been said: the top one is a little soft and the lights are a bit distracting - but it 's a great attempt, so keep trying! I like the second image a lot. You do have some what appears to be lens flare showing, though. Again - keep trying, you'll get it nailed with practice.

Oh I will. I find the night sky so intriguing. I could stare all night at it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back