What's new

Loader bucket re-do

Designer

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Apr 13, 2012
Messages
18,505
Reaction score
4,853
Location
Iowa
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just finished painting my loader bucket. I needed to weld on some hard surfacing anyway, and the snow was sticking badly so I bought some high-tech low-stick coating. I had it upturned for welding, and then I painted it. The first shot is in primer, and the second shot is with the finish coating on it. I also did the rear blade while I was at it.

DSC_0010 - Version 2 (2).webp
DSC_0020 - Version 2 (1).webp
DSC_0018 - Version 2 (3).webp
 
The hard-facing is on the bottom front edge of the bucket. And a little on the longitudinal bars going from front to back. I did not do any on the rear blade, as there was hardly any wear to worry about.

The front of the loader bucket was really getting worn down, however, and needed it. I did not take any pictures of the welding.
 
Oh, one other thing; the receiver hitch is not really one, and was larger than the insert, so I took the opportunity to weld in some shims to shim the box down to 2". THAT I'm quite proud of because it required finding/making some shims of the right thickness.
 
Last edited:
Next time you're welding add a couple of grab hooks to the top of the bucket; they come in reallllllllllllly handy!
 
Last edited:
I talked to someone that had welding in Hawaii. He would put a bead of stainless steel on the edge of buckets because the volcanic sand was so abrasive.
 
Next time you're welding add a couple of grab hooks to the top of the bucket; they come in reallllllllllllly handy!
Oh, but I did think about that!

I made some swivel loops that will go on each side. Much needed for lifting/pulling with the loader. I'll put those on and take another photo today.
 
Next time you're welding add a couple of grab hooks to the top of the bucket; they come in reallllllllllllly handy!
Sure, tell him that after he paints it! :lol:
It's a friggin' tractor bucket... I don't think I've actually even seen anyone paint one before!
Right. Not usually. This one was getting quite rusty since all the original paint was worn off, and the snow was sticking in it badly. (badly enough) After my hands are already cold, I have to scrape the sticking snow out of the bucket before I can put it away.

I sure hope this works. :blush:
 
After my hands are already cold, I have to scrape the sticking snow out of the bucket before I can put it away.

I sure hope this works. :blush:

I can fix it....... wait for it....... move somewhere warmer where it doesn't snow!!!! lol. Just kidding. Looks good, I hope it helps you out.
 
After my hands are already cold, I have to scrape the sticking snow out of the bucket before I can put it away.

I sure hope this works. :blush:

I can fix it....... wait for it....... move somewhere warmer where it doesn't snow!!!! lol. Just kidding. Looks good, I hope it helps you out.

I've thought of that, but I would miss the change of seasons.
 
Here in central Oklahoma at the end of October and I'm still waiting for the seasons to change. (It's been in the 80's and even low 90's the last week or so.) The time may change before the weather does.
 
Here in central Oklahoma at the end of October and I'm still waiting for the seasons to change. (It's been in the 80's and even low 90's the last week or so.) The time may change before the weather does.
Ay-Yuh! One son and DIL live in Maricopa, AZ. WAY too hot there for me.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom