"Lonesome Lake" Milky Way Panorama

jsecordphoto

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$lonesomelake1.jpg

11 shot panorama of the Milky Way arching over Lonesome Lake in Franconia Notch, NH. iso4000, f2.8, 30 seconds each. This was one of my favorite places I've been to for shooting at night, and definitely plan on going back for another night shoot and a sunrise when the cloud cover looks right. This beautiful glacial lake is about a 2 mile hike up, and looks out toward Franconia Ridge. It might not look it, but the mountains directly underneath the center of the milky way arch are some of the biggest in NH.

Thanks for looking!

Just letting you know, I looked at this image a whole five minutes... And I think I need a bigger monitor. So much to see and admire.

Thank you everyone!

I really got spoiled last week with 2 beautiful and clear nights in some pretty great locations. I wish that everybody had access to areas with no light pollution, seeing the milky way and stars reflect so clearly off the water like this is something that everybody should experience at least once in their lifetime. Now I just have to wait another 3 weeks or so for the new moon to get some more milky way shots!

It looks really good. Have you considered doing a time laps at this location? I think It'd turn out quite nicely.

I haven't done much timelapse work, but enjoyed playing around with it. Honestly though I don't have the patience to do night timelapses sometimes...2-3 hours of shooting for a few seconds of video and tons of processing time just doesn't appeal to me much. A few of my friends that I go shooting at night with are really into it though, they use the dynamic perception slider and emotimo tb3 for 3-axis timelapses and they look amazing. Sucks lugging all that stuff up a mountain though.

Beautiful! I love this shot, incredible :) What lens did you use?

The Tokina 16-28 f2.8. I had the Tokina 11-16 on my older crop body and really liked it, and have been even happier with the 16-28. It's pretty heavy, but VERY sharp and almost no distortion at 16mm. Great lens for shooting at night with, and during the day shooting at f11 it is just insanely sharp.

Some of the best times I can remember having were in the White Mountains of New Hampshire! Spent a lot of nights on those trails(I use to do a lot of weekend hikes), if I had only been smart enough to carry a camera instead of all the 'junk' for hiking. Hard to get far enough away from the 'night lights from the cities' down here to see this sight anymore....I envy you!

What did you use to 'layer' your photo's?
How do you combat the 'noise' from such a long exposure?

Scott (thanks for the memories) B

Most reactions

New Topics

Back