Long Exposure - Noise

I am not sure if ISO200 will be unnoticeable noise with that long of an exposure. I tend to keep thing at ISO100 on landscape. But it's not a bad idea to bump up to ISO200 and see how it does. Also, you are right about opening the Aperture causing small DOF which will result in loosing focus in part of the picture. It looks like I have to compromise somehow.

The bumping up the ISO from 100 to 200 is going to significantly cut your exposure time and your biggest cause of noise if from your exposure timing being way to long. The noise difference between ISO 100 and ISO 200 is nothing compared to the noise you are introducing from your exposure being 10+ minutes long.

What is the outside limits of exposure time in general before noise is significantly introduced ?

I don't have any Graduated Neutral Density filters yet (Lee/Cokin is on my list next)

But I've experimented a little using a CPOL for GND-ish effect.

I love those two shots and especially the 2nd one. I'm striving to take photos like that but I lack any rough wave beaches to try.
Waterfalls is the best I've had so far and not anything large with erratic water.

Graduated ND filter is fairly easy to use, just put it on and the camera will compensate for the exposure. If you are closed by beaches, you should be able to run into similar scenes. For that scene, I just drive around and check out random locations. I thought it's a little interesting and I have access to get to that location so I took a shot :)

I am not sure if ISO200 will be unnoticeable noise with that long of an exposure. I tend to keep thing at ISO100 on landscape. But it's not a bad idea to bump up to ISO200 and see how it does. Also, you are right about opening the Aperture causing small DOF which will result in loosing focus in part of the picture. It looks like I have to compromise somehow.

The bumping up the ISO from 100 to 200 is going to significantly cut your exposure time and your biggest cause of noise if from your exposure timing being way to long. The noise difference between ISO 100 and ISO 200 is nothing compared to the noise you are introducing from your exposure being 10+ minutes long.
Probably true. I will try it out next time. Thanks.

I live in Michigan. Our beaches are nothing like real beaches on the coasts. Closest is Lake Superior. But at that point I'd rather drive to the east coast

I live in Michigan. Our beaches are nothing like real beaches on the coasts. Closest is Lake Superior. But at that point I'd rather drive to the east coast

I see. It gives you a reason to travel :)
Thanks.

I see. It gives you a reason to travel :)
Thanks.
I'm working on it ... as soon as I plan an east coast trip then I'll get a couple nice GNDs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back