Long exposure without overexposing

Snapitjack

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My Sigma 8-16 does not have the ability to mount an ND filter. There are some interesting but convoluted hacks to make one fit. Or I could just hand-hold an ND filter, but I just know I'm going to bump the lens during a long exposure.

So the question is; how would a person take a long exposure, say 4 to 30 seconds, in mid-day light, without an ND filter, and not over expose?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Yet another notch in the gun handle of getting the manufacturers to make a DSLR with ISO 4 in them.

Make your body cap into a pinhole? Or spend $25-40 on a pinhole "lens" designed to mount on dslr?

Make a ND filter yourself. Get ND filter foil make just a bit bigger than then the size of the lens make 2 cardboard circles with hole in middle glue the filter between them the glue on foam to one side and then slip that over your lens and stays fine.
Its something i have done many times now but with baadar solar filter foil and have lasted for years.

I have a 3x3 filter holder with a spring clamp and barn doors. The nd or cc filter goes in a holder that slides into the part w/barn doors & spring clamp that goes over the front of the lens. Don't know what size the front of your lens is but I've used it for up to 72mm. Also, never tried it with digital still but used to tape filters behind the lens and in front of the film for movies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

you could try jamming one behind the lens somehow? depending if you have airspace back there

If the lens can accept a lens hood, attaching it to that seems to be the easiest way to me.

Or just buy a hot glue gun, lol.

Just use sunglasses!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I really appreciate the suggestions.

I think for my purpose the method I'm going to use is to take a group of pictures, 15 or 20, and use PS to combine them. Many pictures layered into 1 gives a 'long exposure' kind of look.

Thanks again!

Most reactions

Back