New Body:
1DsMKII
or
5DMKII

New Lens(es?):
Canon 16-35/2.8L
Canon 24-70/2.8L

New Kit:
Canon 430EXII (with a bounce + diffuser)

My main qualm comes in deciding between the 1DsMKII and the 5DMKII. I am certain that I want to upgrade to a full frame sensor; it doesn't make sense to me to buy something intermediate like the 7D when I know that I'll go full frame eventually. I just don't know if the 1DsMKII is considered too outdated to be a good platform to upgrade to. I'm not super concerned about weight. I won't be shooting video.

I take shots of outdoor still life scenes mostly, with a lot of captures coming in the evening, which makes low-light performance very important to me. I'm not super concerned about AF function, because I haven't found my 30D AF to be too lacking (occasionally at night).

What do I do, TPF?

i would jump to the 5dm2. its both newer and if I'm correct, the 5dm2 features a full frame sensor where as the 1Dsm2 has a APS-H sensor, which is smaller then full frame. so if you're switching for the convenience of focal length calculations and better low light, i would go for the 5dm2.

The 1D series is aps-h, the 1Ds series is full frame.

Personally i'd go for the 5D mk II. The 1Ds mk II is a great camera, but unless you especially need the enhanced weather sealing the 5D beats it on most fronts. On your lens dilema front, given your preferred subject i'd lean towards the 24-70.

penfolderoldo-

I see that you own the 24-70. Do you think that the F/2.8 aperture is usably sharper than a F/4 IS lens? The 24-105 F/4L IS has me intrigued.

penfolderoldo-

I see that you own the 24-70. Do you think that the F/2.8 aperture is usably sharper than a F/4 IS lens? The 24-105 F/4L IS has me intrigued.

That's not an easy one to answer - wide open at 2.8 there is slight loss of edge sharpness around the 24mm end. Key word there is 'slight'. At f/4 up, and right through the range at anything above 24mm it's sharp as a tack. The 24-105 is a fantastic lens, no doubt about it, but for me I sometimes need that extra stop. IS allows you to use a slower shutter speed whilst keeping STATIC components of the image sharp - it won't have the same effect as a higher shutter speed would at freezing moving objects within that image. Either lens will provide stunning images, but if you think you might need that extra stop then it's a no brainer.

If I recall, the 24-105 has a lot more barrel distortion at 24 than the 24-70 does... may or may not be a consideration.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back