Look who wandered into the b&w forum…

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My only critique is the 'excessive' clutter in the 3rd one. Otherwise I see 3 stunning images... especially the framing of the ESB.

How's it going SP? :) I love how you've captured the energy of the night with that second shot.

Terrific set, and I completely agree with your decision on B&W here. There's just something about cityscapes that makes them look majestic when rendered this way.

My only critique is the 'excessive' clutter in the 3rd one.
It's a busy shot of a busy city. I kind of get where you're coming from, and if this were in color I might agree. But having the color stripped away, the shot is really elevated, especially with that small frame in a frame she managed to get.

This one is my favorite of the trio, Sharon! Brilliant composition!

Makes me miss NYC something awful. ❤️ Been years since I visited.

Nice...Do more b&w with the Fuji gear! Get hold of the still-free Nik plug-ins, esp. "Silver Efex." Use it often on my b&w film and digital stuff. Lots of online tutorials to show you the ropes. Framing of the Empire State Building in #3 is KILLER!

Last edited:
The third one is one of the most iconic angles to shoot the Bridge. Good use of compression a long lens for effect. The first image is also iconic, though I've mostly seen it shot in the late evening and in color. The second one just reminds me there are just too dang many people in NYC.

My only critique is the 'excessive' clutter in the 3rd one. Otherwise I see 3 stunning images... especially the framing of the ESB.
Did my best. I was there for 30 minutes early-ish on a Saturday morning. This is the only shot without a car or bus or someone in right in the middle of the street taking a selfie with the bridge behind them. And I was waiting and watching for the opportunities.

"Excessive" clutter? LMAO!
Agree, for NYC this is not very cluttered.

A very nice set....
Thanks Jeff…

How's it going SP? :) I love how you've captured the energy of the night with that second shot.
Thank you! Not bad for an iPhone shot through a window at night right?

Terrific set, and I completely agree with your decision on B&W here. There's just something about cityscapes that makes them look majestic when rendered this way.

It's a busy shot of a busy city. I kind of get where you're coming from, and if this were in color I might agree. But having the color stripped away, the shot is really elevated, especially with that small frame in a frame she managed to get.

This one is my favorite of the trio, Sharon! Brilliant composition!

Makes me miss NYC something awful. ❤️ Been years since I visited.
I do have a great color shot of the empire scene but didn’t want to muddy the waters by posting them together.

I’d love to take credit for the framing on the Manhattan Bridge shot but it’s a very popular composition that’s in no way original. I’d like to think I would have spotted it on my own if I hadn’t seen it 5 or 10 thousand times on Instagram but we’ll never know!!

Nice...Do more b&w with the Fuji gear! Get hold of the still-free Nik plug-ins, esp. "Silver Efex." Use it often on my b&w film and digital stuff. Lots of online tutorials to show you the ropes. Framing of the Empire State Building in #3 is KILLER!
I’ll look into that. I’ve heard of it but never used it. I used to use topaz adjust for b&w. These I used Lightroom and Snapseed.

The second shot is awesome, is that from the Chrysler building?
This was taken from the newish Summit One Vanderbilt observation venue. It’s floors 90-93 with 360° views. I have some nice video and inside shots from there that I’ll post in another thread.

The third one is one of the most iconic angles to shoot the Bridge. Good use of compression a long lens for effect. The first image is also iconic, though I've mostly seen it shot in the late evening and in color. The second one just reminds me there are just too dang many people in NYC.
Thanks. I do have it in color but it was a grey and overcast sky which was a bit boring so thought I’d give b&w a try.

Last edited:
I like the second the best. The third's juxtaposition is very interesting. But the utility lines across the bridge detract somewhat. I wonder of you could have stepped in a little closer to eliminate them?

Nice set. NYC's my favorite town. Terrific for photos.

I like the second the best. The third's juxtaposition is very interesting. But the utility lines across the bridge detract somewhat. I wonder of you could have stepped in a little closer to eliminate them?

Nice set. NYC's my favorite town. Terrific for photos.
Thanks Alan! I do have some shots from closer without the power lines but they weren’t as good, IMO, due to the focal length. The compression made the cut out framing the Empire State Building stand out more which was my main subject. If there was nothing there but the bridge, I’d agree with you about the power lines. If I print this I’ll probably give removing them a try.

Yes, I totally get the city is 'cluttered'. By 'excessive clutter' I mean TOO MUCH of said clutter is included. It forces the eye to search for the subject.

This can easily be remedied by a simple crop.

And this is merely my opinion... not the 11th Commandment.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back