Looking at Lightroom 6. Help please.

Canuckphotos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I want to take the plunge and order LR6. I am confused about the monthly subscription and I'm not into that at all. I want to be able to buy something and use it.

So is the LR 6 a stand alone product that will provide editing options and a catalogue ?

And what is the dif between photoshop ans LR 6? It's all very confusing to me LOL. I just want something I can dump photos into it and edit. Export and he done with it.

Thanks for the help [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lughtroom is available both as a monthly subscription together with Photoshop or as a stand alone product on its own.

I have the stand alone version which is very nearly identical to the rented version (the differences are rather minor and have no effect on my work) and cost me a one-off fee.

It is easier to find the stand alone version on somewhere like Amazon as Adobe hide it well on their web site.

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

Lughtroom is available both as a monthly subscription together with Photoshop or as a stand alone product on its own.

I have the stand alone version which is very nearly identical to the rented version (the differences are rather minor and have no effect on my work) and cost me a one-off fee.

It is easier to find the stand alone version on somewhere like Amazon as Adobe hide it well on their web site.

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

Tanks for the reply!!!! I know what you mean about finding the stand alone on adobe site.....

Did you upgrade from 5.7? And if so how do they compare ? Roughly the same interface ?

The $9.99 a month subscription includes both Lightroom CC & the professional grade Photoshop CC that can do so much more than Lr CC can do. So one can think that most of the monthly cost of the subscription is for Photoshop CC.

Before the subscription Photoshop came in 2 versions - regular and extended. The Regular version was $699 and the extended version was $999.
Adobe included all the Photoshop Extended version features when they went released Photoshop CC June 17, 2013.

The subscription includes the latest updates and upgrades for both Lr CC & Ps CC.
Lightroom 6, officially released on April 21, 2015, will cease to be updated when Lightroom 7 is released.
If you want Lightroom 7 or later versions you'll have to pay for a 'License Upgrade' to get that. $79 is the current License Upgrade price for those wanting to upgrade to Lr 6 from Lr 5, 4, 3, 2 or 1.

Here is where on Adobe's web site you buy a Full License for Lightroom 6 for $149 (actually quite easy to find):
Adobe products: desktop, web and mobile applications | Adobe

And what is the dif between photoshop ans LR 6?

While they do some similar things they are completely different.

I am confused about the monthly subscription and I'm not into that at all. I want to be able to buy something and use it.

You would be better off with the subscription. Lightroom has announced that they are working on updating the software. If you buy the stand alone you will have to buy the upgrade. Plus you also get photoshop with the subscription.

So would photoshop be considered a stand alone ? When purchasing the $10 subscription and getting LR CC and photoshop CC do they overlap and integrate or is it two separate programs ? I've been using LR for some time now and up until now I haven't considered new editing software as my computer was crap. I recently bought a decent laptop with entry level performance and want to expand my photography world and maybe start a little side business and need something more professional.

Sorry if this seems like newbie annoying questions but I just want to make sure I'm fully informed.

Ps is fun but has a large learning curve. 10:1 you wont use it for more than 200 hours therefore you'll never learn how to use it to even a beginner level.

Lr can do plenty for your photos. If you feel you've mastered Lr and want to do more and have more control, get Ps as well.

I keep my subscription because I use Lr mobile as part of my workflow and feel the package has value. The cloud based sync is interesting. I love to dabble in Ps but dont have the time to properly immerse myself.

Lr just became more confusing by having a stand alone Lr and a CC version I havent much idea what its all about. Likely they will try to capitalize on diverse product line and will keep offering slightly more in CC.

Ps is fun but has a large learning curve. 10:1 you wont use it for more than 200 hours therefore you'll never learn how to use it to even a beginner level.

Lr can do plenty for your photos. If you feel you've mastered Lr and want to do more and have more control, get Ps as well.

I keep my subscription because I use Lr mobile as part of my workflow and feel the package has value. The cloud based sync is interesting. I love to dabble in Ps but dont have the time to properly immerse myself.

Lr just became more confusing by having a stand alone Lr and a CC version I havent much idea what its all about. Likely they will try to capitalize on diverse product line and will keep offering slightly more in CC.

Holy cow! PS is that intense ?? This is what I find confusing..... why don't they just combine the two and come up with a all in one program that is user friendly LOL?!?!

Now with the CC is that something that can be used offline? Are all my photos in a cloud somewhere ? And if I decide one day I no longer want the service will I lose all my stuff ?

Lightroom and Photoshop have overlap, definitely, but both do things that the other can't do, or do some things better than the other.

For instance, Lightroom also stores and organizes your files. It has folders for them and keywords and can pull them up based on date, camera, lens, rating, and probably more things I've never used. :p It's fantastic for global edits on RAW files, like color correction and exposure.

Photoshop doesn't organize your files. It does have the ability for global edits, but I prefer the Lightroom interface for that. What Photoshop does that Lightroom cannot is composites. If you have two family pictures, and everyone looks good in one except one person, and you have another where that one person looks great? Swap the heads. Have a blown out sky in one photo and want to replace it with a textured sky with clouds? Composite. Lightroom can't do this, but Photoshop does it beautifully. I prefer cloning, healing, and burning/dodging work in Photoshop as well.

The two programs are designed to work together. For me, I start in Lightroom, edit things like exposure and white balance, then take the photo into Photoshop (right click thumbnail, Edit In<Photoshop), make any cloning or composites needed, then take it back into Lightroom (File<Save--yes, seriously, you just save it in Photoshop and the copy goes right back into Lightroom) and then I make final changes, like cropping and vignettes, so that the final is saved in the Lightroom catalog.

If you want to get an idea of some of the things you can do in Photoshop, I strongly recommend the Phlearn videos, many of which are available for free on YouTube. Aaron Nace is a genius!

Adding because I just saw your newest message: No, nothing is saved in a cloud, it's all saved on your computer. If you end your subscription, your photos are still available on your computer where you saved them. It can be used offline, I think only the "help" section would require an internet connection.

Holy cow! PS is that intense ?? This is what I find confusing..... why don't they just combine the two and come up with a all in one program that is user friendly LOL?!?!

Now with the CC is that something that can be used offline? Are all my photos in a cloud somewhere ? And if I decide one day I no longer want the service will I lose all my stuff ?

The CC version loads on your computer and you can keep all your photos on your computer. Stay out of the cloud if you like. But the CC version is kind of like a Borg member of the collective. You can't break it's connection to the collective for too long or it dies. If you boot up the CC version of either LR or PS and you're computer does not have an Internet connection Adobe's connection app will pop up with a big yellow triangle and ! You're OK but the clock is ticking. You can go like that for weeks but eventually you're going to get the message that access to the Internet is required or else! The Borg has to check home and make sure your account is still active $$.

Joe

You guys are so awesome!!!!!!! Thanks so much for the help and making this easier for my little brain to understand LOL. As a hobbyist photographer I'm reluctant to commit myself to monthly payment. I haven't broken through the pro world and just started doing photo shoots for friends and family. Going to build a portfolio and see where it takes me [emoji4]. I know photographers are found everywhere now and not holding my breath. I just like to have fun with photos and test my creativity limits.

Thanks folks for the help and I'll have to do some reading and weigh my options.

BUY yourself a copy, or pay the $9.99 monthly ransom for three years, and pay over double the cost of a bought-and-payed-for copy that you can use without an internet connection and without Adobe snooping on you all the time.

I finally bit the bullet and got a 1-year subscription for the Photographer's package on Amazon. I just have to renew in June.

Most reactions

Back