Looking at Lightroom 6. Help please.

Ps is fun but has a large learning curve. 10:1 you wont use it for more than 200 hours therefore you'll never learn how to use it to even a beginner level.

Lr can do plenty for your photos. If you feel you've mastered Lr and want to do more and have more control, get Ps as well.

I keep my subscription because I use Lr mobile as part of my workflow and feel the package has value. The cloud based sync is interesting. I love to dabble in Ps but dont have the time to properly immerse myself.

Lr just became more confusing by having a stand alone Lr and a CC version I havent much idea what its all about. Likely they will try to capitalize on diverse product line and will keep offering slightly more in CC.

Holy cow! PS is that intense ?? This is what I find confusing..... why don't they just combine the two and come up with a all in one program that is user friendly LOL?!?!

Now with the CC is that something that can be used offline? Are all my photos in a cloud somewhere ? And if I decide one day I no longer want the service will I lose all my stuff ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Photoshop is a raster image editor and Lightroom is a parametric image editor, as such they are radically different tools. Photoshop edits your images at the pixel level -- it pushes pixels around and will in fact change pixels. There's a method of working with Photoshop called layering that allows you to preserve the state of your original but it get's memory and file size intensive as well as ungainly. Some of what PS can do is forced destructive what we mean by that is that you have to commit the pixel change which then prevents you from backing out. You can of course always save your original unedited, but once you commit pixel changes you shut the door on easily changing your mind.

Lightroom implements all edits parametrically. It doesn't (it can't) change individual pixels directly. In fact LR saves it's edits in a text file as instructions. This has the advantage of allowing totally non-destructive surgically accessible re-edit ability as well as really easy access to multiple versions of the photo (just need a copy of the text file). Another advantage of this is dramatic savings in disk space used. The parametric workflow is the better option but not always possible. So the rule is do it parametrically if you can and resort to the raster editor if you must.

Joe

For instance, Lightroom also stores and organizes your files. It has folders for them and keywords and can pull them up based on date, camera, lens, rating, and probably more things I've never used. :p It's fantastic for global edits on RAW files, like color correction and exposure.

Photoshop doesn't organize your files. It does have the ability for global edits, but I prefer the Lightroom interface for that. What Photoshop does that Lightroom cannot is composites. If you have two family pictures, and everyone looks good in one except one person, and you have another where that one person looks great? Swap the heads. Have a blown out sky in one photo and want to replace it with a textured sky with clouds? Composite. Lightroom can't do this, but Photoshop does it beautifully. I prefer cloning, healing, and burning/dodging work in Photoshop as well.

The two programs are designed to work together. For me, I start in Lightroom, edit things like exposure and white balance, then take the photo into Photoshop (right click thumbnail, Edit In<Photoshop), make any cloning or composites needed, then take it back into Lightroom (File<Save--yes, seriously, you just save it in Photoshop and the copy goes right back into Lightroom) and then I make final changes, like cropping and vignettes, so that the final is saved in the Lightroom catalog.
As far as image editing using Lightroom's Develop module and Photoshop's Camera Raw, both use Adobe Camera Raw (ACR).
That way a Raw file edited in Lr of Ps can move seamlessly back and forth between the 2 applications because they both use the same Raw converter.

While Lightroom's Library module is a image database management module and Lightroom's primary reason for being. However, many people have no experience using a database management system because they are used to using a computers file browser system. Note too that none of your image files get stored IN Lightroom. Your image files remain in your computer's browser based file system.

Using Lightroom's Library module is necessary so Lightroom can keep track of where in your computer's memory your image files are.
In other words, if you ingest your image files using Lightroom but subsequently move a file using your computer's file management system instead of Lightroom's Library module Lightroom no longer knows where those moved image files are in your computer's memory.

Adobe Bridge is included with Photoshop CC. Bridge also lets us rate and keyword our image files and is a browser as opposed to being a database manager.

Photoshop CC can do way, more kinds of edits than Lr can and Ps can do edits more precisely than LR can.

I have the subscription. I think it's worth the outlay, but there are pros and cons for both.

If you get a new camera, the standalone version may not support the new raw file. Often they are upgraded with software, but sometimes it isn't updated until the next version. This can be problematic, but Adobe do a free software called DNG converter that allows you convert a raw file to a DNG which is basically an Adobe Raw file, so there is a work around if going fwd you have issues.

You could rent for a very short time and see if it is worthwhile, but if you buy standalone lightroom you have a very good editing software

Holy cow! PS is that intense ?? This is what I find confusing..... why don't they just combine the two and come up with a all in one program that is user friendly LOL?!?!

Now with the CC is that something that can be used offline? Are all my photos in a cloud somewhere ? And if I decide one day I no longer want the service will

You get a month after ending subscription to get your photos backed up.

Yes it is available offline, I have 6k photos on my phone in Lr.... keep backups in a HD, and I think they go to a cloud as well.

If you could make a simple program that does what Ps and Lr does, market it omtk the world, and get people on board you will be rich beyond belief.

For instance, Lightroom also stores and organizes your files. It has folders for them and keywords and can pull them up based on date, camera, lens, rating, and probably more things I've never used. :p It's fantastic for global edits on RAW files, like color correction and exposure.

Photoshop doesn't organize your files. It does have the ability for global edits, but I prefer the Lightroom interface for that. What Photoshop does that Lightroom cannot is composites. If you have two family pictures, and everyone looks good in one except one person, and you have another where that one person looks great? Swap the heads. Have a blown out sky in one photo and want to replace it with a textured sky with clouds? Composite. Lightroom can't do this, but Photoshop does it beautifully. I prefer cloning, healing, and burning/dodging work in Photoshop as well.

The two programs are designed to work together. For me, I start in Lightroom, edit things like exposure and white balance, then take the photo into Photoshop (right click thumbnail, Edit In<Photoshop), make any cloning or composites needed, then take it back into Lightroom (File<Save--yes, seriously, you just save it in Photoshop and the copy goes right back into Lightroom) and then I make final changes, like cropping and vignettes, so that the final is saved in the Lightroom catalog.
As far as image editing using Lightroom's Develop module and Photoshop's Camera Raw, both use Adobe Camera Raw (ACR).
That way a Raw file edited in Lr of Ps can move seamlessly back and forth between the 2 applications because they both use the same Raw converter.

While Lightroom's Library module is a image database management module and Lightroom's primary reason for being. However, many people have no experience using a database management system because they are used to using a computers file browser system. Note too that none of your image files get stored IN Lightroom. Your image files remain in your computer's browser based file system.

Using Lightroom's Library module is necessary so Lightroom can keep track of where in your computer's memory your image files are.
In other words, if you ingest your image files using Lightroom but subsequently move a file using your computer's file management system instead of Lightroom's Library module Lightroom no longer knows where those moved image files are in your computer's memory.

Adobe Bridge is included with Photoshop CC. Bridge also lets us rate and keyword our image files and is a browser as opposed to being a database manager.

Photoshop CC can do way, more kinds of edits than Lr can and Ps can do edits more precisely than LR can.
Soooooo disingenous. Seriously. And sooo utterly,totally, obliviously outdated in your way of thinking. Every time I read this same,exact,shopworn kind of post, from you, specifically, from you, I wonder if you are payed by Adobe? This must be the fiftieth similar post I have read from you about this, KmH, over literally years and years. And I am being serious: Are you payed by Adobe to promote Photoshop?

Keep enjoying those 169-megabyte versions of each edit you create....I'll stick with Lightroom and its tiny,tiny sidecar files.

Pixel-level editing. Very 1990's. Photoshop.

Parametric editing. Very twenty-first century. Lightroom.

Might be time to re-think some things.

As Derrel stressed above, get the LR6 standalone while you can. It's very likely the last version you can actually own. Adobe is bent on jacking LR6 standalone owners around re: updates and mobile apps but don't fold and buy into the CC herd until it's absolutely necessary.

Download the free Nik Collection plug-ins, too, while they're still available:

Google Nik Collection

Adobe makes both programs.

Ps should be called Gs. Its a graphics shop.
Lr is the photo shop.

Both are amazing. I happen to like highly stylized, cooked graphics.

If you get a new camera, the standalone version may not support the new raw file.

you get all the same updates. however, Adobe--being the horrible company they are--removes some features from the standalone version. Guided Alignment tool and Dehaze for two.

These happen to be my two favorite tools.

If you get a new camera, the standalone version may not support the new raw file.

you get all the same updates. however, Adobe--being the horrible company they are--removes some features from the standalone version. Guided Alignment tool and Dehaze for two.

These happen to be my two favorite tools.

Kind of, but when a new version of lr comes out, the older one stops updating, so you could lose raw support for newer cameras once standalone version updates

Well, after looking at other softwares I decided that LR and PS will suit my needs for the moment. I like that I can jump ship. I'm not committed to a stand alone and have the ability to have ready to use updates with all the latest Adobe decides to throw at this. I kind of like having something that is constantly evolving and up to date.

I know the subscription based software is a bit of a downer but it's the way of the future. After a couple days of reading and weighing my options this seems to be the way to go for now.
IMG_0125.JPG

Stupid question.... I bought the Lightroom and photoshop for $10 USD and it did the download. But only LR showed up on computer. No photoshop

I think you have to specifically download Photoshop, while Lightroom is the thing it automatically directs you to.

I think you have to specifically download Photoshop, while Lightroom is the thing it automatically directs you to.

Oh ok. I assumed it would trigger the package I bought. I was freaking out thinking the $10 sub was just for Lightroom. I was gonna lose my poo LOL.

Downloading PS cc. Hope I don't incur more charges. As it says get LR and PS for just $9.99

No worries, I get both Lightroom and Photoshop for $10. No extra charges.

Most reactions

Back