Looking back on 2016 - Moviving forward in 2017

jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I wanted to take the time to thank many of you for your guidance during my first year into photography. A special shout out to @astroNikon , @Gary A. , @tirediron , and @Derrel . Their patience and thoughtful instruction via postings, PM's, and field work were invaluable.

Looking back, I took well over 10k worth of pictures, and so few keepers. I was a shutter maniac trying to gain ground in the art of photography. The glaring benefit of quantity was learning the hardware and embarrassing myself enough to gain humility. Personal benefits would include; discovering genre's that reflect myself, the ability to help others on a small scale, and acquiring new friends. Pretty valuable gifts when put into perspective.

Moving forward, the goal is to slow down, crawl enough to effectively journal my way through. 2017 is going to be mainly about film. I discovered along the shuttering frenzy, film forces me to slow down, look, and think. Honestly, this reflects my personality more anyway, careful, and methodical.
Eventually, a dark room will find it's way into my home for wet printing. The arsenal is built up with a few camera's, a couple brands of film, and many books. Quality and not quantity is going to be the focus.

Thanks again, and Happy New Year everyone on TPF.

P.S., I will continue to shoot digital for events, and grand kid activities.

Last edited:
JC I want to thank you for posting. As I followed your growth you've been an inspiration to me to explore, experiment and learn. The fact that this site hosts such a wide spectrum of experience willing to share is truly a great resource. Best of wishes to you on a successful 2017.

JC I want to thank you for posting. As I followed your growth you've been an inspiration to me to explore, experiment and learn. The fact that this site hosts such a wide spectrum of experience willing to share is truly a great resource. Best of wishes to you on a successful 2017.

Thank you bud, very kind of you to say. We are going to have some fun in 2017!

Thanks for the mention, JC. It's been enjoyable watching your photographic growth here on TPF. I've enjoyed our forum friendship quite a bit. You're a great TPF poster, and a top-notch personality as well. I want to wish you a great 2017, and thank you for your many posts here in 2016!

What he ^^ said! It's always great to have someone who not only wants to learn, but is willing and eager to take advice.

^^ as stated above.
It's been a great pleasure and really fun. I'm sure we'll get out more and take more flower, bird, tractor photos.

Photography is fun !!

Looking forward to seeing your film results in 2017. But I hope that will not be an end to the flowers and mannequins! Those are my favs.

Looking forward to seeing your film results in 2017. But I hope that will not be an end to the flowers and mannequins! Those are my favs.

Thanks. Will do the flowers but more emphasis on night and street photography in 2017. I am also studying two Hedgecoe books; landscape, and people photography, have 4 projects drawn up so far but no immediate plans to shoot. Definitely a few tractor shows with emphasis on getting up close and wide. Mannequins are always a favorite of mine as well, hopefully will get to Chicago soon, maybe Detroit as well. I just shot a roll of HP5 (I think) in Ann Arbor, MI with some mannequins but haven't developed them yet. Shooting the mannequins with film is way different in that I am not sure what I am gonna get.

Look out now. Using Astro, John, Derrel and Gary in the same sentence, let alone twice in a thread....

Did He!! just freeze over???? lol.

Most reactions

Back