What's new

Looking for a Camera Backpack

rickabobaloey

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 14, 2010
Messages
180
Reaction score
3
Location
Michigan, U.S.A.
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm going to be in teh market for a backpack that can carry my camera, 3 lenses, tripod, and other accessories (spare battery, SD cards, filters, etc.)

Now I've come across a few different ones that look really nice. Such as this.

Only problem I have with getting that is if I'm hiking. I like to be prepared and usually carry a small first aid kit, extra socks, some food, etc. Doesn't seem like there's enough room for my camera equipment + what I'd take with me on a normal hike.

Anyone have any options out there available? Carrying two packs would be a bit much.
 
I had the same problem as you when I was shopping for bags. I needed the extra room too. So I found a bag called Portare which has two separate compartments. My 3 lens and body go in the compartment below and all the extra stuff on the one above. The small accessories fit on the side pockets. Check the pictures out at their facebook page: Portare' | Facebook.
 
Kata 3N1 30...i own a 20. Room for socks, food in the top compartment. Can be used as a sling with easy access to the camera or as a backpack. You can also buy an accessory to attach a tripod.
 
Are you looking for a backpack that you can shoot out of, or just one to haul your gear? The Think Tank ShapeShifter is awesome, but not really made to shoot out of. The Sling-O-Matic by Think Tank is one that you can. They both are awesome, but a little more $
 
Ive been looking around for a while and last night I found a few that im considering, both able to hold pro body's or in my case prosumers with grips and plenty of lenses. I checked out the one you posted up before but I really don't like the suspended type, which is what I currently have but I cant fit either of my bodys in it anymore.

1.

2.

More leaning towards 2.
 
Thanks everyone! I'm looking at and reviewing those backpacks suggested right now. I'd be looking at spending between $100-$150 so all of them fall into that category. A sling style would be nice for quick access to the equipment, especially if you're photographing wildlife. They like to move quick. So I'm leaning more towards that sling-o-matic.

How much extra gear can it hold?
 
A while back, I felt I needed a backpack too, and set out to buy one. I got one that was excellent but I found that backpacks have 2 drawbacks:

1. You tend to carry too much, mine held 3 bodies and 6+ lenses with accessories, and ended up much to heavy to be practical

2. This one applies more to you: With a shoulder bag or sling, you can change out equipment while standing without a problem. A backpack needs to be set on something, which makes it a biiiig pain to change out equipment.

I ended up with a LowePro SlingShot 100 sling style bag. It made equipment changes easy, and I can still carry around: D300, D70, 18-70, Fisheye, 50mm, and lensbaby with filters, batteries, and memory cards. If you need to go bigger, they have larger versions. It was only $60, so not too expensive either.
 
A while back, I felt I needed a backpack too, and set out to buy one. I got one that was excellent but I found that backpacks have 2 drawbacks:

1. You tend to carry too much, mine held 3 bodies and 6+ lenses with accessories, and ended up much to heavy to be practical

2. This one applies more to you: With a shoulder bag or sling, you can change out equipment while standing without a problem. A backpack needs to be set on something, which makes it a biiiig pain to change out equipment.

I ended up with a LowePro SlingShot 100 sling style bag. It made equipment changes easy, and I can still carry around: D300, D70, 18-70, Fisheye, 50mm, and lensbaby with filters, batteries, and memory cards. If you need to go bigger, they have larger versions. It was only $60, so not too expensive either.


May I ask you where you got it from?
 
I got mine at B&H (the actual store in NYC), but it was a while ago, and I know there's a new version out (Slingshot 102), so prices may have changed.
 
Ive been looking around for a while and last night I found a few that im considering, both able to hold pro body's or in my case prosumers with grips and plenty of lenses. I checked out the one you posted up before but I really don't like the suspended type, which is what I currently have but I cant fit either of my bodys in it anymore.

1.

2.

More leaning towards 2.

I personally own a Lowepro Flipside 400. That pack is beauty. I had a Slingshot 200 before, but I needed to upgrade to get the 500mm lens in. The Flipside is strong, padded and comfy. I never put the pack down to switch lens. You just flip it around your waist (keeping the waist belt attached, but not the shoulder straps) and it falls in front of you. It works like said by the Lowepro. I carry all my lenses in there, so there is a lot of glass in there, but still fall perfectly horizontal in front of you no matter the weight of glass in. I highly recommend. If you don't have a long lens like a 500mm you can fit two bodies easy. If you plan your pack wisely and don't carry everything, you can use the rear pouch for enough stuff for a day hike.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom