Looking for a cheap digital cam with good zoom

Rabican

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking for a cheap digital camer (under 300) that has a good optical zoom. I would like to be able to take some pictures and actually get some up close shots if thats possible in that price range. I would be willing to sacrifice speed, battery life etc. if it meant I could get some cool shots when I actually do use the camera.

If anyone has any ideas on what camera might fit the bill for what Im looking at that would be great.

The lens system is usually the most expensive part of the camera. So to a large degree your request and hope is not likely to be realized. How much optical zoom do you think you need? 5x 10x 20x

Being under 300 dollars is going to be a trick.

If your looking for a simple point and shoot there is soo many it is impossible to list them all.

Fuji fine pix, Nikons, Canons, Sonys, et al... There is really a huge list.

The one thing to consider is the lens system you want to use. If you deside on a DSLR (as mentioned above) and if your fine w/ a system like an aps sized sensor on a Canon Rebel or Nikon, then a used body from KEH is in order. (keh.com).
If you eventually want to up grade to a full frame sensor, then you will want to stick to that to begin with, but the cost is going to be higher. Minolta 5D or 7D you might find for under that.

Otherwise, your best bet is to start off easy with something like a Rebel with a kit lens. Again.. Look at keh.com I would definatly stay away from systems with serious limitations. This would include Wal Mart specials.. (not so much slamming Wal mart per se...) but the reality is that they are seriously low level consumer cameras and definatly NOT designed for serious shooting.

If your sticking to the point and shoot, then I would say look at the various Nikon systems. They are good, relitivly cheap and have a solid reputation.

The lens system is usually the most expensive part of the camera. So to a large degree your request and hope is not likely to be realized. How much optical zoom do you think you need? 5x 10x 20x

I guess thats a really good question... I found a Kodak camera that has a 15x optical zoom, which seems a lot higher than any other digital cameras in the same price range. I was just wondering if there was anything else that had decent zoom. Im not looking to take professional pictues, but I would like pictures from say... the zoo, or a fishing trip to look like I wasnt 4 miles from the object Im shooting. I have many pictures that Ive taken with a crappo camera... great shots except theres no detail because I cant get zoomed in close enough.

What about buying a camera, and then a lens seperately? Is that possible for a digital camera?

DSLR's have the capability of changing the lens. Some are telephoto lenses like you desire.

However the least expensive, new DSLR's will cost more than $300. Nikon has a 6 MP DSLR with a kit lens (18-55 mm) for about $400 (D40).

A good consumer grade Nikon 70-300 mm telephoto zoom lens runs about $600 (just the lens). A 150-500 mm consumer telephoto zoom lens is about $1000 (Sigma).

Good photography equipment doesn't come cheap. A Nikon 600mm f/4 lens (no camera included) is $10,500 today at B&H Photo Video.

Last edited:
"DSLR LIKE"
in otherwords.. a bridge camera...
thats all i have to say for this topic except, good question ^

that would help allot as for £300 or $300 (what ever the case may be)
there isn't much you can buy unless you go for a Point and shoot... i got my Pentax e30 for £40 (second hand) but haggled it to £20 :p
that put out some good shots

I have a Sony cybershot high zoom point and shoot. I have to tell you it takes fantastic pictures. My Dslr is an Olympus, my mother in has a Canon Dslr and her best friend has a Canon Dslr and Nikon Dslr. We all have the same Sony high zoom point and shoot and we all love it. They run between $279 -$499.

High Zoom | Sony | SonyStyle USA

I have had good luck shooting with Fugi. This camera did pretty well and offers a 12x zoom.
For being a point and shoots at that price is pretty good. It is a DSLR like camera that shoots at 10mp. I used it while I was in Washington this last winter for my honeymoon as my D80 did not make it with me...... grrrr American airlines...... I got it at best buy for 299 but then later returned it when my D80 was returned into my loving arms. I would give it a good rating for the price. While in expensive I would not consider it cheap. On sale for 195 with free shipping at B&H

Fujifilm | FinePix S1500 Digital Camera | 15929469 | B&H Photo

Most reactions

Back