Looking for a first TLR

I just found a Yashica MAT-124G in excellent condition, along with telephoto, wide angle for the taking lens,plus a wide angle viewer, some filters and a bag at our local thrift shop run by the Quaker prison society(CentrePeace). The lenses are in mint condition. Whoever owned the equipment took good care of it. Came to $200. There's other things still there that may be related, such as flash attachments; I'll have to go back and check. I was just excited to find the camera/lenses. Been looking for a reasonably priced setup, and this is a good start. Ordered some 120 Porta 160...I've used it in my 35mm's so I'm familiar with it. That stimulus money came in handy :).

Though a bit higher than a Minolta, the mamiya C3, C30 or C330 will be a great choice.

Plus there are interchangeable lenses available.

but you need to bargen hunt for the good ones.

As for the Minolta, I have one that worked very well until it was dropped.
Also had an old Yashica Mat as well.

I shot with a Mamiya C330 in the 1980s and just loved that camera. That camera introduced me to medium format photography.

Have you given any thought to a Mamiya C330?
Back in the 80's I had a Mamiya C330 with 55, 80, and 135 lenses. It's a great camera.

As did I in the 80s. I only had the 80mm lens and I took it with me everywhere. A marvelous intro to medium format.

Hi Charles,
Have you considered a Mamiya C330? My first medium format camera was the C330 with an 80mm lens in the 1980s, along with my Canon AE1 35MM. The Mamiya had a solid build, good lens choices and was just a great camera at an affordable price. As I recall, the image quality was fantastic. It is a bit larger than those you mentioned and built like a tank. I noticed your budget is around £200. Are you by chance in the UK? I just purchased a Mamiya 645 1000s camera with some lenses and accessories for it from a career photographer in England. He still shoots film predominantly. He steered me in the right direction and he is quite trustworthy. He specializes in Mamiya, Bronica, and Fujifilm. If you would like to get into his with him, please don't hesitate to let me know and I will give you his information.

Most reactions

Back