looking for a flash bracket- what do you recommend

SNAPaPHOTO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What flash bracket do you all use? I shoot with d300s and my backup is a d300s both with the battery grips. One has a sb800 and the other sb900 and I have been thinking of a bracket to help with all that they do. I was looking for suggestions.

It kind of depends what the flash bracket is needed for...I have a big, tall, honking Stroboframe rotary link type bracket with rotating camera platform, wooden handgrip, and cable release capability--which is great for use with a very tall camera, like a motorized Nikon or Canon body, and for the times when you absolutely want the flash almost a foot above the film plane to keep the shadow down and behind--like for wedding, publicity, or other types of flash event shooting. But it's an absolute bear to use for very long. The "new" style of flash brackets OTOH, are what the paparazzi use and are merely glorified pieces of steel shaped into L or T-shapes and are pretty cheezy, but are good for slam-bang shooting.

Your budget and your intended use would help us give you better suggestions.

I use (well own, I don't use it much anymore) a Stroboframe Press-T. I like the design of the Press style because it's made so that you hold the camera, not the grip. It's a flash flip design, not a camera rotate design.

It's good for what it does, keep the flash above the camera but as Derrel mentions, it's gets to be one heck of a big rig to tote around, which is mostly why I stopped using mine.

Also, keep in mind that you will need an off-shoe cord to go along with it, and those aren't all that inexpensive.

I have the remote cords, just looking for something better than the cheap Ebay bent piece of metal I bought on Ebay. Basically another great example of you get what you pay for, and now I need to buy the proper one.

Strobaframe makes a taller version of the quick flip. I would recommend it if your going to keep your grip on the camera. I have a quick flip 350 but only use it with my non-gripped d300. My gripped D300 I just use a flash on the hot shoe.

I have a manfrotto 323 plate attached to it so I can take it off and on quick (camera from the grip). And I have a release plate attached to the extra tripod monut on the grip near the hand hold. So I can mount the whole thing on a tripod quick if I need it. Works out pretty good this way.

Some of those others allow more accurate centering of the flash over the lens, but they are quite large affairs. Carrying one of them around all night, I am not sure I would like that. Strobaframes does have some adjustment. They are simple lightweight, and sturdy.

Benhasajeep, sounds very similar setup, as I also use the quick release plates on all all my lens with the exception, I have replaced the screw mechinism with the black rapid screws for their strap system. I will look at the strobeframes thanks.

Most reactions

Back