Looking for a good entry level flash...

bevoholic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.stephenanthonyphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Is the SB-400 Speedlight a good flash? I was looking at the SB-600 but it's just a little bit out of my budget at the time. Would the SB-400 be a good substitute or should I save up a bit more and get the SB-600?

save up and get the sb-600

vivitar 285HV

you could get almost three of them for the price of one sb600, i have two and they havent let me down yet.

I generally think the SB-600 is worth saving for. It's more fexible for bouncing light, and with a compatible camera can be used off camera using Nikon Wireless CLS.

The SB-400 isn't terrible though.

What camera?
What are you current shooting situations where you want to shoot with flash?
Are there any situations you want to consider using a flash for in the future?

I always recommend the vivitard 285HV to everyone but only if your allready have a good ttl capable flash.

Having a good ttl flash you can use on camera to bounce is a MUST! GET ONE

I always recommend the vivitard 285HV to everyone but only if your allready have a good ttl capable flash.

This. OP, you should for real get an SB600 so that you have something on camera with ttl to bounce. You'll be wishing you had one if you're doing a lot of shooting indoors.

I'm using a Nikon D5000. Just looking for a flash for general use. Maybe some Macro photography, maybe portraits, and a few night shots.

I would save for the SB-600. It is more flexible in use (unless size and weight are an important issue and you want as small a flash as possible).

It also gives you room to grow. It may be discontinued soon (if not already) since the SB-700 is out now, so I don't know what that means to availabilty.

vivitard :lmao:

Another vote for the vivitar285hv!! Ttl is overrated, now that we can check exposure instantly.

I'd recommend buying an old used 285hv, as the new ones are not made to the same quality standards.

I just picked up a second SB-600 for $125 off craigslist. Keep your eyes peeled for the deals.

Most reactions

Back