Looking for a Portable, Powerful Light System: What to get?

I had a B800 that I was having trouble lighting two people with because of the distance it had to be for coverage and the large softbox on it. There's not much of a replacement for more power when you need more power.

VI how big was your softbox? I use a 42" with a single 580 with couples all the time at high sun, no issues. I guess that depends on your style.

Yep there's no doubt you'll get 3x-4x the power for something that cost a few $K vs $475. What justified it for me was that my speedlites were getting all of the use while my Quantum system was just collecting dust. Like you mentioned if affordable it's good to have both, I just favor the convinience of the speedlites.

How close is your softbox to your subject? I'm positive you can't get any distance at all without it becoming a fill light or less. It just doesn't have the power.

With price comes convenience and features. You can get a 1200w/s mono light for just under $400 and a VML batter for about $205, IIRC. You can then strap or velcro the battery to the head and have an ultra portable 1200w/s monolight for a little more than the cost of a 580EX II. You can also get a 285HV for about $100, but you're also out on the weather sealing, TTL operation, fine adjustments, and other features of the $470 580EX II. It all depends on what features you want. For power, portability, ruggedness and weather sealing, it's going to be hard to beat the Ranger RX if the price is within the OP's range.

FP2420 Flashpoint 2420 Monolight, 1200 Watt Second Fan Cooled Strobe, 120 volt.
Paul C. Buff - Vagabond Mini Lithium

I pro photographer I know uses old Elinchrom 500's to throw around on location. He has 4 of them. Says with his battery he can get hundreds of flash fires and thats using the modeling light. Would this be an alternative to speedlights on location?

I found one on ebay: E++ 500 WS Elinchrom 500 Studio Flash - TESTED - Very Nice | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I had a B800 that I was having trouble lighting two people with because of the distance it had to be for coverage and the large softbox on it. There's not much of a replacement for more power when you need more power.

VI how big was your softbox? I use a 42" with a single 580 with couples all the time at high sun, no issues. I guess that depends on your style.

Yep there's no doubt you'll get 3x-4x the power for something that cost a few $K vs $475. What justified it for me was that my speedlites were getting all of the use while my Quantum system was just collecting dust. Like you mentioned if affordable it's good to have both, I just favor the convinience of the speedlites.

How close is your softbox to your subject? I'm positive you can't get any distance at all without it becoming a fill light or less. It just doesn't have the power.

I say at full power I don't go beyond 60 inches with a single 580 EXII. But that's all I really need as it's always above the subject in result outside the frame. But you called it VI, it doesn't do much beyond that. I do not disagree at all with your points VI, all valid.
Op, here's some samples using just one 580 EX flash, something to consider on what it can bring:

Afternoon sun:

5385639575_b13dd78181_z.jpg

5386241198_2df3abe58f_z.jpg

Killed the ambient on afternoon(Shaded) and snooted single flash:

4010138869_42b04ab6d8_z.jpg

Afternoon Sun:

3993789371_49d289c656.jpg

this one is almost high sun:

5663857136_067913bc1a_z.jpg

Late Morning Sun:

6247028332_6d1f98d5c0_z.jpg

Last edited: