Looking for a specific part (tripods)

Lightsped

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
indeed, same as this, but may i enquire why do you need so many tripod plates? rather than just screw off and screw on? ^^

Convenience.

I own two cameras, three lenses and many other pieces of photo gear that have 1/4x20 threads in them. Having a QR plate on each makes it much simpler, easier and quicker to put a given device on a 'pod.

For instance, shooting sports with two lenses. Swapping one QR plate between two lenses, or a lens and the camera, takes way too much time.

I probably own 10 RC2 plates and 6 RC4 plates.

I agree, having multiple 'Quick Release Plates' is much more convenient than switching a single one. I've used up to three at a time....one on each of two bodies and one on the foot of my 70-200mm.

But really, it depends on your shooting style. If you are the slow & steady type, then changing the plate isn't much work. But if you like to have multiple cameras/lenses at the ready but are also shooting on a tripod, then having more plates is great. Plus, you are less likely to misplace or under tighten one if you don't have to be constantly taking it on and off.

Or is this like a generic one size fits all part?
There are many styles and sizes to QR plates. Some, like Manfrotto are brand specific and Manfrotto itself has several styles and sizes.
However, there is a standard or sorts, the 'Arca Swiss' style plate & clamp. There are several manufactures who use this style, which does allow for some cross brand mixing and matching. Although, not every company uses the same manufacturing specs and techniques so there are a few known issues where company A plates may not fit well in company B clamps etc.

Well, I eneded up getting this one before I checked the responses here. The MeFoto one I have is 37x50, and this one I ordered is 38x50. I am thinking it should still fit fine. The two I ordered came out to the price of one of the MeFoto plates.
Amazon.com: Black PU-50 Universal Quick Release Plate For Tripod ball head: Camera & Photo
Oh, I wanted three quick release plates for convience reasons. I never know which camera I will need to mount to a tripod and sometimes it is easier to have each body ready to go instead of fumbling around looking for qr plates...

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
They are called QR Plates. Quick Release, and generally follow the Arca (Swiss) pattern. Kirk, Really Right Stuff, and Manfrotto make them to fit every camera. And dozens of Chinese imitations are to be found on eBay. Most, but not all, tripod ball mounts will mate these plates.

I have two of these. One for my Nikon camera, and smaller one for the Ring Mount on a larger lens. Thus the bulk of the weight — the lens — is bourn by the tripod, letting the camera hang off the rear. You get much better balance with this configuration.

indeed, same as this, but may i enquire why do you need so many tripod plates? rather than just screw off and screw on? ^^

Convenience.

I own two cameras, three lenses and many other pieces of photo gear that have 1/4x20 threads in them. Having a QR plate on each makes it much simpler, easier and quicker to put a given device on a 'pod.

For instance, shooting sports with two lenses. Swapping one QR plate between two lenses, or a lens and the camera, takes way too much time.

I probably own 10 RC2 plates and 6 RC4 plates.
Yep! I own one plate for every body & lens that will take one, plus a small bag of spares.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back