Looking for advice (Composition)

Zapafaz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all, I am pretty new to photography and have been told I should work on improving my composition to make my photos more interesting. Any advice would be appreciated, though I do know the basics. Just not really sure what I should focus on.

Here is my Flickr (complete with random dog pics): Flickr: Zapafaz's Photostream

And here are a couple photos of mine:

3582481147_72041459d6_o.jpg

3582483863_cbcdb6c6b6_b.jpg

Both have good compostion.

The first shot makes the human eye move ... from the large droplet to the smaller ... and then follow the lines.

The second moves from the left to the right.

The movement in the image makes it more interesting.

Think about the frame (what is in the picture), the vantage point, the thing itself and detail. If you can check all of those off your list, you've pretty much got it.

i can't give you much advice, as i am a beginner myself, but composition to me definitely means making one's eye move, making one stop at a photo to examine it more.

imho, number two is fabulous. i didn't even know what it was at first but i found myself wandering around the photo trying to figure it out. great job!

Figure out what you want the main subject to be and then take interesting photographs around it. Use lines leading to or away from the subject. When starting out, sticking to the rule of thirds will greatly enhance your photographs. You've got it down in the second photograph. Just don't put the subject in the middle unless there is some cool symmetry around it. As an artist, learn how to follow your gut about composition. Sometimes it breaks all the rules but it feels right. If your instinct says that it is off, then find a way to compose it that makes it feel right.

imho, number two is fabulous. i didn't even know what it was at first but i found myself wandering around the photo trying to figure it out. great job!

Hehe, I find myself wondering how it got there...I didn't place it or move it! :confused:

Thanks for the comments & advice everyone!

On a side subject, watch out for blown out areas. That is the problem with both of these images.

Also, in the second maybe shoot from an angle that doesn't block the leaf or whatever that is sticking out with the lighter area in the background. I would also move the subject to the left and more up or more down too. That's just *me* though :)

I meant I am familiar with most of the things on that first list...even though I probably don't use them enough! ;) Thanks for the links, some great tips in there.

On a side subject, watch out for blown out areas. That is the problem with both of these images.

Also, in the second maybe shoot from an angle that doesn't block the leaf or whatever that is sticking out with the lighter area in the background. I would also move the subject to the left and more up or more down too. That's just *me* though :)

Yeah I notice that seems to happen a lot (blown out areas). I agree, that whitish-pink area behind the top of the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samara_(fruit) is kind of distracting. Also... I didn't know what those things were actually named until just now! :lol:

Most reactions

Back