Looking for advice on an entry level SLR $300-500

jeanb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey! I know this question gets asked a lot, but from the previous threads I read, it's not always price specific. I'm new to photography and I'm looking to start out with an entry level (D)SLR camera. My price range is $300-500 and I'm more than willing to buy a used body. Although, I would probably buy my lenses new since I could still use them if I upgrade at some point. Digital would probably be easiest, but I wouldn't mind otherwise. On that note, if there's an easy, affordable DSLR that shoots decent video, please point me in the right direction! This is just a hobby-nothing professional-so I plan on using it for just about anything. Some of the cameras I'm looking at are the Pentax K200D, Digital Rebel XT, Canon 450D, Canon 40d, Canon Eos Rebel GII, Canon ELan II, and Canon AE1. Am I on the right track? Is there another I should be considering that I left out? I've done research on these and a few others, but I'd really appreciate some guidance. Thanks!
-Jean

Last edited:
You can find a used Nikon D50 for that budget. It is a good camera and very user friendly. It should also support what you would want to do as a newbie. I have owned mine for five years and have not had any issues with it. I would love to have some of the features that the newer models have but I am on a three kid budget.

On that note, if there's an easy, affordable DSLR that shoots decent video, please point me in the right direction!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do any of those even shoot video?

Just a heads up but the Canon Elan 2 and the AE 1 are both Film I.E. 135mm analog cameras not digital cameras.

As far as a nice starter DSLR that shoots video, for a little bit more (599) new or (500ish) used you could have the new Nikon d3100, I just took a look at one for my girlfriend and I must say its an amazing camera that is stuffed to the brim with all sorts of features you would never expect to see on an "entry" level camera.

Correct you are. They do not shoot video. There I go again not reading.

Thanks for the replies so far! I know that they're not all digital and that none shoot video. I'll take a loot at the Nikon D50. The D3100 would be amazing, but I can't afford it, especially given that I would need one or two lenses.

You might find a Rebel XS + kit lens for 489 new on Adorama.

Thanks for the replies so far! I know that they're not all digital and that none shoot video. I'll take a loot at the Nikon D50. The D3100 would be amazing, but I can't afford it, especially given that I would need one or two lenses.

If you could find a used Canon 40D, that would fit your budget and probably be better than the rest of those. Also, look at used/refurbed Nikon D90's. I'm not sure what the going price on those are anymore, but that would also be a good suggestion.

$650 for a refurb d90 as of last week.

a used 40d with kit lens would be great like VI said.
also, i think used D40s with kit lens can be had for little money as well.
check adorama.com, KEH.com, cameta.com, and B&H

Check for kits at Sam's Club and Costco as well.
Samy's Camera
Calumet
are other places to check.
Shoot well, Joe

I just picked up my d70s with a 50mm 1.8 for $400 shipped off another photography section.. i would look around on craigslist or ebay.

Pentax K10d is a good start, or you could get a K20d for the better sensor.

Even now that I have the D7000 I still pull out my D40 all the time. I see them on craigslist around that price range all the time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back