Looking for advice

KenkelsImages

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Shot for the last year with a Nikon D60, and a Nikkor 55-200mm kit lens. Loved my work. Had a mentor, who shot Canon, but he helped me so much. My mentor is gone now, as I thought I didn't need him anymore, BUT...
Just upgraded to a Nikon D7000. Went to a senior photoshoot the other day, and got mediocre pictures. They are okay, but compared to what I was shooting last year with my D60, I feel like I lost something. What I don't know.
I have the following lens's:
Nikkor 50mm 1.8 (which is what I used for my senior shoot)
Nikkor 55-200mm
Nikkor 18-55mm (which is more of a dust collector and hasn't even been on my camera since I bought my D60)

I don't use any photo editing software, as I have never before really needed it. I just feel really lost, and... don't know what to do about it.

Last edited:
Not going there, sorry.

Post one or two examples, along with exif data, of photos you are not happy with and the reason for your dissatisfaction. A few members here do not like going off site to view a bunch of unselected photos from a member with a single post.

It's really difficult to give meaningful critique or advice when you do not present a specific photo and specific problem

As mentioned, please post some specifics. I did have a quick look at your page while waiting for a telephone call to be returned, and while I appreciate the fact that you state you are not a professional, if you are offering to cover weddings and other one-time events, you have a long way to go to reach mediocre. Every image I looked at had technical issues, and the artistic aspects of many were beyond me.

You refer to yourself as a "natural light" photographer and state that you don't use any editing software. Why? Photography is all about light. Mother nature only has one source of light, and unless you have an 'in' that the rest of us don't, it's not a very controllable source. Learning how to control and add light to a scene is a critical and basic building block of your photographic knowlege store. As far as "editing", no image is ever as good as it can be straight-out-of-the-camera. Every image needs some help even if it's a very minor leveling and cropping for print.

While that may sound harsh, it's meant to be a bit of a reality check. You enjoy taking photos, Great! You want to help people by taking photographs. Even better. But... you're not quite there yet. Spend a little more time learning the basics and practicing. There are lots of people here who can help you. If you have someone who is willing to help you/mentor you, keep that person!

And your question is..........?

I have posted another thread with sample images in it, just not sure how to delete this one.

I have posted another thread with sample images in it, just not sure how to delete this one.

You can't. You're from Iowa, and we're not allowed to delete threads. :lmao:

Seriously, only the Mods can delete a thread.

I see that now. I looked everywhere trying to delete it.. but to no avail, here we are. HAHA.

Most reactions

Back