MWC2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.cynthialinderbeck.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi~

I've been working on nailing my focus and trying to nail my exposure in camera as much as possible.

5944368751_7a9ef96561.jpg

ISO 200
SS 1/200
f/2.8

5944678764_6e7edeaca4.jpg

ISO 200
SS 1/100
f/2.8

5944678050_307a5bcefe.jpg

ISO 250
SS 1/100
f/2.8

What I see:
background isn't very nice, it's busy and makes these snapshots (which they pretty much are, just practice shots).
I cropped the right side of the frame of #1 and #3, I guess my daughter doesn't need her right arm ;)
#2 I think her skin tone is a little to warm.

As I said, I'm working on nailing my focus. I think I got it, focus seems to be on her eyes (please confirm if I'm wrong). Does the exposure look ok?

Last edited:
Focus looks quite good at this very small size on the web. I agree, #2's skin tone is too warm (too orange-ish), but the first and third have believable skin color. #1 and # 3 have a LOT of excess top space. The children are just super-cute, even with their expressions of boredom!

What derrel said with 1 & 3. Also I am not sure what is going on with her lips. Either she has been sucking on a blue lolli pop, or you did something with your post processing. Her lips looked blue on 1&2.

She got into blue icing off her brother's birthday cake. She didn't think anyone would notice. :)

Thanks guys. Do you have any recs for proper skin tone? I don't think I'm doing it currently.

She got into blue icing off her brother's birthday cake. She didn't think anyone would notice. :)

Thanks guys. Do you have any recs for proper skin tone? I don't think I'm doing it currently.
Are you shooting RAW or JPEG? Auto white balance or a custom white balance?

It looks like you nailed the focus so I would say that part of your goal was achieved. The exposure and white balance, however, are a different story. All have slight variances and you picked up on #2 being too red. Looks like they were all taken under the same conditions, so if you shot in RAW, you could just take the white balance from one of the ones that you like and apply it to the rest. That would take care of the skin tones.

Also, it could be your processing. All 3 images look like they were taken under the same conditions at the same location and look like they have the same exposure level, but your settings are different for all 3. To me, that would imply that you were either adjusting flash settings(which you didn't list) or you adjusted exposure in post processing. Not knowing the post processing adjustments that you made or what options(software) you have available makes it difficult to comment further on recommendaitons to improve.

In any case, the best way to guarantee accurate skin tones is to shoot a calibration target under the same lighting conditions and adjust your white balance based on that. One thing to point out, though, often the absolute correct white balance isn't the most pleasing so a bit of adjustment may be necssary in post processing.

Are you shooting RAW or JPEG? Auto white balance or a custom white balance?

It looks like you nailed the focus so I would say that part of your goal was achieved. The exposure and white balance, however, are a different story. All have slight variances and you picked up on #2 being too red. Looks like they were all taken under the same conditions, so if you shot in RAW, you could just take the white balance from one of the ones that you like and apply it to the rest. That would take care of the skin tones.

Also, it could be your processing. All 3 images look like they were taken under the same conditions at the same location and look like they have the same exposure level, but your settings are different for all 3. To me, that would imply that you were either adjusting flash settings(which you didn't list) or you adjusted exposure in post processing. Not knowing the post processing adjustments that you made or what options(software) you have available makes it difficult to comment further on recommendaitons to improve.

In any case, the best way to guarantee accurate skin tones is to shoot a calibration target under the same lighting conditions and adjust your white balance based on that. One thing to point out, though, often the absolute correct white balance isn't the most pleasing so a bit of adjustment may be necssary in post processing.

I do shoot RAW with Auto White Balance. I know I should be using custom white balance, I've played around with it before but I never really seem to get it (as in fit it into my workflow). I'll dig out my grey card and give it a go with it.

The images were actually taken at different times during the day, but the same location in the house, hence the different settings. I did have a typo on my settings for image #2, I've gone back and corrected it. I rarely use an ISO of 100, I try to stay around 200 or 250.

I use Lightroom to import and sort, CS5 for editing. I don't do too much when it comes to editing, I'm leaning more toward a clean colour edit. So it's a levels adjustment, curves adjustment and a colour boost adjustment. I do mask back on the skin on the colour boosting as I don't like the way it makes it look. I know I need to work on my skin tones, that's my next step in the learning curve. Skin tones seem to be really tricky, making sure the stay "true" in PP. When I first started I tended to make them way to blue, now I'm making them too red/pink. If I could only find a middle ground. One step at a time, right?

Thanks for your replies.

I made one of my other children sit this morning (yes the same spot in the game room), I found my grey card and actually used it (I hope I used it correctly) I used it for custom white balance and to set my exposure. Is the skin tone better?

5947165540_dc37e79f18.jpg

my girls have a thing for that little hat (her braces are scheduled for the 25th, so this might be one of the last images I have for awhile that are sans-braces).

I love it. Wish you would have framed it a bit looser, but focus, lighting, white balance, exposure, and editing look good. You have some adorable 'subjects'.

I love it. Wish you would have framed it a bit looser, but focus, lighting, white balance, exposure, and editing look good. You have some adorable 'subjects'.

Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it. Also I wanted to say, I really am so greatful for the reminder to use the grey card that I had sitting in my desk. It does really help a ton, it did take an extra minute or two to set up the shot using the grey card but the results were totally worth it.

Dont bother with the grey card.. seriously..

Can you explain, is there something I missed or could do different? With forums it's always hard to tell if someone is being helpful or if they are being snotty, (I like to think everyone is trying to be helpful). I would like to think that my last image there was some improvement, but if there isn't I would also like to know and receive some advice on how to move forward. I'm willing to learn, just I need an idea on which way I should be moving to reach my goal of taking the best possible images I can.

thank you again. :)

Can you explain, is there something I missed or could do different? With forums it's always hard to tell if someone is being helpful or if they are being snotty, (I like to think everyone is trying to be helpful). I would like to think that my last image there was some improvement, but if there isn't I would also like to know and receive some advice on how to move forward. I'm willing to learn, just I need an idea on which way I should be moving to reach my goal of taking the best possible images I can.

thank you again. :)

My guess is he was being snotty. In any case, there are some disadvantages to using a grey card. It takes a bit longer(I usually don't do a custom wb, I just take one extra shot with the grey card in the frame and set my wb off of that, so it doesn't take much longer...just one extra shot). A perfect white balance isn't always the most pleasing. A lot of times, we may prefer a white balance that is a bit warm indoors since that is kind of how we are used to seeing things. Some will also tell you that they are 'artists' and they just go with what looks right.

For me, I like to have as much information as possible when editing. I actually prefer a calibration target that has a neutral black, a neutral grey, and a neutral white. Lets me pin point where I want the whites and blacks to fall in my frame and lets me guarantee a perfect white balance.

In any case, for an example of a disadvantage of not having used a grey card or calibration target, you can check out this thread. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/professional-gallery/250702-my-first-senior-pics.html White balance and exposure are different from shot to shot and the entire shoot lacks consistency.

Excuse me? You are an A hole you know that? She shoots with RAW and really proper wb on camera is not needed especially is she moves around and the WB changes. You linking my post and tell people how bad it is on a different post is completely unacceptable.
Can you explain, is there something I missed or could do different? With forums it's always hard to tell if someone is being helpful or if they are being snotty, (I like to think everyone is trying to be helpful). I would like to think that my last image there was some improvement, but if there isn't I would also like to know and receive some advice on how to move forward. I'm willing to learn, just I need an idea on which way I should be moving to reach my goal of taking the best possible images I can.thank you again. :)
My guess is he was being snotty. In any case, there are some disadvantages to using a grey card. It takes a bit longer(I usually don't do a custom wb, I just take one extra shot with the grey card in the frame and set my wb off of that, so it doesn't take much longer...just one extra shot). A perfect white balance isn't always the most pleasing. A lot of times, we may prefer a white balance that is a bit warm indoors since that is kind of how we are used to seeing things. Some will also tell you that they are 'artists' and they just go with what looks right.For me, I like to have as much information as possible when editing. I actually prefer a calibration target that has a neutral black, a neutral grey, and a neutral white. Lets me pin point where I want the whites and blacks to fall in my frame and lets me guarantee a perfect white balance.In any case, for an example of a disadvantage of not having used a grey card or calibration target, you can check out this thread. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/professional-gallery/250702-my-first-senior-pics.html White balance and exposure are different from shot to shot and the entire shoot lacks consistency.

I gave a list of advantages and disadvantages to using a white balance tool. You told her not to bother. And I didn't say the pictures in your post were bad. I said white balance and exposure are different from shot to shot and that they lack consistency. Exactly the reasons I recommend a white balance tool. Linking that thread, IMO, was appropriate, especially considering your earlier advice.

Excuse me? You are an A hole you know that? She shoots with RAW and really proper wb on camera is not needed especially is she moves around and the WB changes. You linking my post and tell people how bad it is on a different post is completely unacceptable.
Can you explain, is there something I missed or could do different? With forums it's always hard to tell if someone is being helpful or if they are being snotty, (I like to think everyone is trying to be helpful). I would like to think that my last image there was some improvement, but if there isn't I would also like to know and receive some advice on how to move forward. I'm willing to learn, just I need an idea on which way I should be moving to reach my goal of taking the best possible images I can.thank you again. :)
My guess is he was being snotty. In any case, there are some disadvantages to using a grey card. It takes a bit longer(I usually don't do a custom wb, I just take one extra shot with the grey card in the frame and set my wb off of that, so it doesn't take much longer...just one extra shot). A perfect white balance isn't always the most pleasing. A lot of times, we may prefer a white balance that is a bit warm indoors since that is kind of how we are used to seeing things. Some will also tell you that they are 'artists' and they just go with what looks right.For me, I like to have as much information as possible when editing. I actually prefer a calibration target that has a neutral black, a neutral grey, and a neutral white. Lets me pin point where I want the whites and blacks to fall in my frame and lets me guarantee a perfect white balance.In any case, for an example of a disadvantage of not having used a grey card or calibration target, you can check out this thread. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/professional-gallery/250702-my-first-senior-pics.html White balance and exposure are different from shot to shot and the entire shoot lacks consistency.

They are not consistent because I used strobe on half of the shoot. A gray card won't do jack because I moved around and the sun sometime out sometime covered by the cloud. You calling me a snot and linking my work and criticized it here made you the snot.

Most reactions

Back