Looking for Gallery Critique

Yuma

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking to get critique on my photography. I won't have much time to upload images as I am at work and I figure getting a gellery critiqued would be easier and more time efficient. My gallery is on DeviantArt and if anyone is willing I would really appreciate some critique. I am very serious about photography and I believe that critique is what will make me improve.

If anyone is willing I would really appreciate some critique on my gallery, feel free to email me or message me here or simply comment. I really enjoy critique and want to get drastically better at photography. I hope to someday make a living off of my passion.

I really appreciate any help anyone can give.

yuma-kutsuu on deviantART

I won't have much time to upload images as I am at work and I figure getting a gellery critiqued would be easier and more time efficient.
Easier and more time efficient for you, but not for those who you are asking to give you critique.

It can't hurt to ask, but don't be surprised if you don't get much. You get out what you put in.

I just did a quick scan of your gallery, I'm seeing a lot of major composition and exposure issues. It looks to me, and I apologize for saying this, like you don't really know what you are doing. It looks like you are sticking a subject in front of your camera and clicking the shutter button.

Some examples:
be5b05df7ce92af7fd457d7fa66fc09e-d31mbbw.jpg

WAY out of focus and blown out.

0b143de7d3d58c1539b9698ff3c2b53f-d31mb7m.jpg

Hands and feet are cropped off and the shot is under exposed.

ce65a75dfd849f27e5491259919b5972-d31ma4e.jpg

Grossly blown out, body parts are cropped off, and hor horizion lines aren't straight.

Really your tecnhique is all over the place and inconsistent. I think you could benefit by taking a step back and pull 1 or 2 of the shots in your gallery out for individual critique. There is a lot of help you can get on your shots.

I don't mind uploading photos I just didn't want to upload a bunch and irritate people. However if this is more inconveniant then I will consider uploading. What should I resize the photographs to? They are currently 5000+ in dimensions both verticle and horizontle.

For posting in the forum, try to stick to 800 pixels wide, give or take.

I don't mind uploading photos I just didn't want to upload a bunch and irritate people. However if this is more inconveniant then I will consider uploading. What should I resize the photographs to? They are currently 5000+ in dimensions both verticle and horizontle.

You've already uploaded them.... no need to do it again. See the stick above on how to post pictures.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...forum-functions-pictoral-guide-using-tpf.html
Ok thanks. I am not offended by your comments, I mean of course it stings to hear it but you are right I am very new to using an SLR camera and tinkering with settings is rather difficult to comprehend sometimes. I will do what you say though I think I do need to take a step back and perfect the basics of photography. Do you have any sites or books you would reccomend that explain such things? Thank you very much for your critique it will help me a great deal.

Ok thanks. I am not offended by your comments, I mean of course it stings to hear it but you are right I am very new to using an SLR camera and tinkering with settings is rather difficult to comprehend sometimes. I will do what you say though I think I do need to take a step back and perfect the basics of photography. Do you have any sites or books you would reccomend that explain such things? Thank you very much for your critique it will help me a great deal.

That's good to hear... I've seen far to many show up here and post pictures that weren't any good (as I have done myself) only to take the critiques as offensive and then run off because they couldn't handle the truth. Its good to see that some people are willing to take criticism to heart. :thumbup:

As I see it, there are far too many people who spend a lot of time posting their photography on Facebook and have gotten quite used to all the "Likes" and "Wow those are great" comments they get failing to realize that those critiques are coming from people who don't have any grasp of the tecnhique and compositional skills that go into photography.

As for sites and books, the book "Understanding Photography" by Bryan Peterson gets rave reviews around here. It is an introduction to the basics of photography. I read it after I learned the basics and was somewhat disapointed in it. I leared what I know simply from browsing the Internet.

To give you a baseline on what you need to learn:

Technically you MUST learn what and how shutter speed, aperture and ISO relate to photography. These are the three critical components to taking a photograph. Its also important to learn how to use your camera's built in light meter.

Compositionally, I as a beginner myself, only have 2 rules... I feel these are the most important... 1. Make sure your entire subject is composed, don't crop off the tops of heads, arms, legs or elbows. And 2. Make sure your horizon line is straight. Granted, you can always deviate from those two rules if you have a reason to do so, but for the most part... focus on making sure your camera is straight, and you subject fits in the shot.

That's good to hear... I've seen far to many show up here and post pictures that weren't any good (as I have done myself) only to take the critiques as offensive and then run off because they couldn't handle the truth. Its good to see that some people are willing to take criticism to heart. :thumbup:

As I see it, there are far too many people who spend a lot of time posting their photography on Facebook and have gotten quite used to all the "Likes" and "Wow those are great" comments they get failing to realize that those critiques are coming from people who don't have any grasp of the tecnhique and compositional skills that go into photography.

As for sites and books, the book "Understanding Photography" by Bryan Peterson gets rave reviews around here. It is an introduction to the basics of photography. I read it after I learned the basics and was somewhat disapointed in it. I leared what I know simply from browsing the Internet.

To give you a baseline on what you need to learn:

Technically you MUST learn what and how shutter speed, aperture and ISO relate to photography. These are the three critical components to taking a photograph. Its also important to learn how to use your camera's built in light meter.

Compositionally, I as a beginner myself, only have 2 rules... I feel these are the most important... 1. Make sure your entire subject is composed, don't crop off the tops of heads, arms, legs or elbows. And 2. Make sure your horizon line is straight. Granted, you can always deviate from those two rules if you have a reason to do so, but for the most part... focus on making sure your camera is straight, and you subject fits in the shot.
I think as a photographer to improve there is no choice but to accept criticism. The moment you stop accepting criticism is the moment you risk the death of progression. Besides I know I am inexperienced so it's only natural that my shots will be poor quality. I'm really grateful you were able to provide so much information, I will be sure to start researching immediately.

It's a good point you make about facebook. I noticed that myself, I would get rave reviews on any photos but it was by inexperienced people also and it gave me a false sense of greatness. That's why I came here as I have noticed there are a lot of professionals and serious photography enthusiasts who would be ore than happy to be brutally honest. I don't want to be a mediocre photographer. I am aiming to someday be a professional so I'll have to work pretty hard. Thanks so much again for your help again I really appreciate it.

ce65a75dfd849f27e5491259919b5972-d31ma4e.jpg

Grossly blown out, body parts are cropped off, and hor horizion lines aren't straight.

Really your tecnhique is all over the place and inconsistent. I think you could benefit by taking a step back and pull 1 or 2 of the shots in your gallery out for individual critique. There is a lot of help you can get on your shots.

Window shots are tricky because of the obvious light issue, light behind your subject will always act as backlight and will always need a 'keylight' infront of your subject to pull them away from the flare it creates and ends up sillhouetting your subject.

hello everyone. i'm new to photography, i've bought my first camera about one week ago. i would like you to criticise and comment about the photos that i've updated to my gallery...and tell me what's wrong, and what's good about them. thank you for your time!
fedaykiner on deviantART

so Bitter Jeweler you think that as a begginer my photos are ok? nothing to critique about?

so Bitter Jeweler you think that as a begginer my photos are ok? nothing to critique about?

I think you should probably start your own thread and post some images directly to it. You kind of tried to hijack this one... Which was in the process of dying.

hello everyone. i'm new to photography, i've bought my first camera about one week ago. i would like you to criticise and comment about the photos that i've updated to my gallery...and tell me what's wrong, and what's good about them. thank you for your time!
fedaykiner on deviantART

A good start would be to start your own thread, as opposed to hijacking someone elses.

Just sayin'.

To the OP of this thread.... others here will be the first to tell you that I'm certainly not the one to give you advice on composition etc. But.... what I can advise is to try to find some community ed classes in your area that focus on SLR or DSLR photography. I was albe to find a couple of classes in my area that offered a whole lot of useful information as it related to the functions of my camera and the bare basics of photography including exposure and basic composition. Best off, they were cheap. I mean really cheap. Now I have gone from not knowing which end of the camera you point at your subject to taking photos that I want to look at more than once. With a little practice, and applying the things I learned in those classes, I might be able to take photographs that others want to look at more than once too! :D Also, a great book to read would be "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. It's a really helpful publication. It will help eliminate the issues you are having with the blown out exposure amongst other things. He also has a series of videos available on youtube that are pretty fantastic.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back