What's new

Looking for some constructive criticism

daveinoz

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 2, 2012
Messages
18
Reaction score
1
Location
Australia
Hi All

New to this forum and this is my first post. New to photography really. I bought a Nikon D5100 about a year ago and have only recently started to enjoy photography.

I'd appreciate your feedback on some of these shots - personally I think they are pretty good BUT I have looked at them so much I am starting to not know whether they actually ARE any good or not ... if you know what I mean :)

Have started to teach myself about f/stops and shutter speeds etc. but most of these were taken just on auto and I want to figure out if I have a decent eye for photography?

DSC_1284.JPG


_DSC0079.JPG


This one I took after building my own cheapo lightbox.
_DSC0016.JPG


Lightbox again

v2%2520Coffs%2520Circus%25202.jpg


I like this one because of the way the light reflects of the "pods" on the ferris wheel.

Coffs%2520Circus%25203.JPG


Big top at the circus but I think it looks kind of "zen" lol

Sunrise%25208.JPG


V2%2520Port%2520Douglas%2520Fish%2520Club%25201.jpg


This is a good example of one where I sort of think its good but not really sure because I have looked at it so often?

Thanks in advance.
 
Shots #1 and #6 are rather cliche and uninspired snapshot-type images. The others show pretty solid photographic basics and decent composition. The tilted horizon of the sunset shot, and the rather bland picture of the first shot, the flower, are kind of "ehhh". Your other photos show strong use of pattern, or shapes, and good compositional strategies. You appear to have the ability to make technically capable photos, and it seems like you are well on your way to knowing your way around a modern digital camera.MANY people would dearly love to be as capable as you have shown yourself to be. Your image processing appears pretty sound. Looks like there's nowhere to go but upward! Your photographer's "eye" will continue to develop with study and practice. When I use the term snapshot, I mean an image that holds very little real interest to a dispassionate viewer who was NOT THERE when the photo was made, and whose interest will not be stimulated by the photo entirely on its OWN merits, with NO emotional connection to the scene or to the photo as an object or as a creation. You already have a very solid start to picture-making!!!
 
I have not really shown my photos to anyone yet and I appreciate the feedback. And your right. The first one was just a throw in and I am glad you have set my straight on the last ne. I have looked at it and played with it so much I really could not figure out how I felt about it anymore. ANd your comments regarding creating photos based on the viewer not being there are appreciated - good stuff to remember. And thanks for the compliment - much appreciated!
 
I really like 7. Tranquil setting of the quiet waters and the boat being left on the hard at low tide. Love it.
 
These all show a good eye for composition.
Rather than repeat what Derrel said I would like to point out something else.
#4 is a nicely exposed and composed picture of a fairly common sight, yet it is clipped on the right - for no obvious purpose.
Something you can do with an image like this that presents you with a very strong and obvious geometry is to remake the image to show another geometry. Confounding the expectations of the viewers is at the basis of many strong shots.

$v2-Coffs-Circus-2lll.webp
 
These all show a good eye for composition.
Rather than repeat what Derrel said I would like to point out something else.
#4 is a nicely exposed and composed picture of a fairly common sight, yet it is clipped on the right - for no obvious purpose.
Something you can do with an image like this that presents you with a very strong and obvious geometry is to remake the image to show another geometry. Confounding the expectations of the viewers is at the basis of many strong shots.
I see what you mean - it DOES make a difference. I had cropped it already to make a stronger less expected image (as you point out) but the additional cropping you have done really brings it out. Thanks!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom