looking for tripod need help

BGeise

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am in need of a new tripod that is capable of holding decent weight in landscape or portrait orientation. I would like it to have a quick release and just overall a steady tripod. What would you guys recommend. What other features would be helpful i am not thinking about?

I bought a vanguard alto pro with bh100, and it works well. Didn't cost too much, is relatively sturdy, and really easy to use. It fit into my budget, and I'm glad I bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 right now, and I like it a lot. I found a crazy deal on it, though -- if I hadn't, the price on the Vanguards is pretty attractive. I've personally had a great experience with Dolica as a "budget" brand, and I've heard good things about Adorama's house brand (Flashpoint).

As far as features, I'd start with the leg locks -- flip locks vs. twist locks can be sort of a Canon vs. Nikon issue for some people. I personally like flip locks better (having tried an Induro with twist locks), but I'd highly recommend you figure out for yourself which one you like, because that's the only answer that really matters.

Having owned both aluminum & CF tripods, I love CF, but it's one of the first things I'd give up if I had to save money somewhere. Other features are going to really depend on how you want to use the tripod, so give that some thought. For me, the horizontal swing arm on my Manfrotto is great, but I know there are also people who'd never use a feature like that. I wrote up a couple tripod reviews that might be helpful just in seeing features:

LambertPix » Budget tripod shootout, part 2
LambertPix » Budget tripod shootout, Part 3

Again, I'm not sure I'd recommend either of those tripods per-se vs. something like the Vanguard that was mentioned earlier, but the reviews might be helpful in looking at features.

Finally, you mentioned quick releases and portrait vs. landscape mode, and this brings up another point to look at. I started switching my stuff to ARCA-compatible clamps & plates maybe a year or so ago, which is nice as you start to accumulate stuff and/or share with folks (you can carry one tripod and share it with someone just by giving them a spare plate), but I also picked up an L plate for my camera last fall, and it's really nice for switching the camera from portrait to landscape -- rather than laying the head all the way over to switch, I just release and re-clamp the camera, which retains the full range of motion of the head, and also keeps a much better geometry if I want to shoot a panorama in portrait orientation. I mentioned that not because I'd encourage you to run out and get an L plate right away, but because if you get started with an ARCA-compatible quick release system now, you'll find stuff like that easier to add on later. There's probably a whole other discussion to be had around how compatible are "compatible" systems, really, but I'll spare you that for now.

A tripod is like underwear for men. If you plan right, think to the future, and pay for the best quality you can afford both can last a lifetime.

First any tripod and head both need to be rated to support at least twice the weight of your heavist gear combination now and what you plan for in the future. If you can afford a set up that supports 3 time the weight that it even better.

Second, select the materials based on your need, not necessarly your want. A composite tripod is going to give you great stability, be lightest in weight and the most expensive. An aluminum tripod is going to have good to very good stability based on quality, heavier than the composit and most likely the cheapest. Finally there is solid hardwood. Hardwood tripods are the proven stability leader, they however are the heavest of the three (considerrably so) and are usually priced inbetween composit and aluminum. Of the three the most common that people are going to use are either composit or aluminum. Hardwood is the choice for larger setups, unique weather conditions and where stability is the absloute most important need.

Round legs are stronger that square/rectangular legs. When you choose a tripod, try to find one that is tall enought for you to use in most cases without extending the center column. When you extend the center column you loose stability.

Finally there is budget. Everyone want to spend as little as possibe, however if you plan and shop well you can build that setup that could literly last you a lifetime if cared for. In the long run that can mean by spending a bit more now, you may never have to spend more later.

Thank you for all of the input. I have a lot of research and comparing to do now but at least i know what to look for. Much appreciated

A tripod is like underwear for men. If you plan right, think to the future, and pay for the best quality you can afford both can last a lifetime.

So you've been wearing the same pair of underwear for your entire life?

Wow.. you know, that does start to explain a few things actually.. lol

Thank you for all of the input. I have a lot of research and comparing to do now but at least i know what to look for. Much appreciated

Lots of options out there for Tripods. Best advice I can give is to think of it as a long term investment, buy a good one and it will last a very long time. Maybe not as long as Gryphon's underwear, granted, but a long time. The cheap ones look attractive but if you use them quite a bit they wear out pretty fast, and as a result your replacing them so often that cost wise you would have been better off in the long run buying something a bit more expensive.

And choose your ball head and mounting plates wisely. So many manufactures make proprietary plates that it gets really confusing really fast. I wish I went with an Arca Swiss compatible system.

So you've been wearing the same pair of underwear for your entire life?

Wow.. you know, that does start to explain a few things actually.. lol
Hey, there is at least 3 square inches of fabric hanging onto the elastic, and I got 6 more pair just like them. What more do you need, or you one of them fellers that wears one of them man thongs? :biglaugh:

And choose your ball head and mounting plates wisely. So many manufactures make proprietary plates that it gets really confusing really fast. I wish I went with an Arca Swiss compatible system.
+1 :thumbup: for the Arca Swiss. It's what I use. I would have mentioned it by there are a few folks here that complain about anything that is in the least bit expensive whether it is quality or not. Trust me Arca Swiss is top quality and because of that they ask for top price.

This is one of the few times I am glad that there are no photo's in a thread :confused:

+1 :thumbup: for the Arca Swiss. It's what I use. I would have mentioned it by there are a few folks here that complain about anything that is in the least bit expensive whether it is quality or not. Trust me Arca Swiss is top quality and because of that they ask for top price.

That's the nice thing about the Arca Swiss compatible systems out there, you have many options, both affordable and otherwise.

I will look into that system

One thing to think about is the number of leg sections. The FEWER leg sections, the more stable the tripod tends to be, in my experience. A two-section tripod is often exceptionally stable, and quick to set up because, well, there is only one set of three leg locks to unlock and lock. That makes for a very long tripod when it is collapsed. A four-section tripod on the other hand, is very short when collapsed, and is easily stowed in a small place, or carried inside of a compact case or bag.

Three-section tripods are a compromise, and where the majority of "the action is" these days. For use in a studio, I greatly prefer a two-section tripod. For hiking, a four-section is most compact, but it's also a PITA with so doggone many legs to unblock, extend, then lock, and major height changes will often require six leg locks to be manipulated and fine-tuned.

Another thing is how high and how low the tripod will go.

There are tripods optimized for studio use, general use, and for hiking/mountaineering. The best tripod for any one of those three uses is not the best for the other two uses.

Most reactions

Back