looking for tripod need help

One thing to think about is the number of leg sections. The FEWER leg sections, the more stable the tripod tends to be, in my experience. A two-section tripod is often exceptionally stable, and quick to set up because, well, there is only one set of three leg locks to unlock and lock. That makes for a very long tripod when it is collapsed. A four-section tripod on the other hand, is very short when collapsed, and is easily stowed in a small place, or carried inside of a compact case or bag.

This can also be a factor when you carry the tripod. When I'm hiking, for instance, I usually clip the tripod onto my pack or belt somewhere I can reach it without dropping my whole pack. The couple of times I tried this with a three-section Induro tripod, it was banging against me the whole time I was hiking. Not pleasant. My four-section 190 isn't perfect, but it's much, much better.

Three-section tripods are a compromise, and where the majority of "the action is" these days. For use in a studio, I greatly prefer a two-section tripod. For hiking, a four-section is most compact, but it's also a PITA with so doggone many legs to unblock, extend, then lock, and major height changes will often require six leg locks to be manipulated and fine-tuned.

True; hence the recommendation to figure out which kind of leg lock the OP prefers -- it's bad enough to have to fiddle with them at all, let alone to be cursing the whole time that you hate twist locks (or vice-versa).

Another thing is how high and how low the tripod will go.

There are tripods optimized for studio use, general use, and for hiking/mountaineering. The best tripod for any one of those three uses is not the best for the other two uses.

Absolutely. I'm generally really happy with my 190, for instance, but I've certainly run into cases where I wish it reached a little higher.

Great points.

Ok new feature i am looking for is being able to be converted to a monopod. I have found the mephoto brand has some but i don't really like they have five leg sections. Any other brands out there?

There are times to look for multi-taskers and there are times to not. This is one of those times to not look for a multi-tasker. Never seen a tripod/monopod that had a real quality build to it. To get both in one you make sacrifices. Just my 2 cents on the matter.

I am in need of a new tripod that is capable of holding decent weight in landscape or portrait orientation. I would like it to have a quick release and just overall a steady tripod. What would you guys recommend. What other features would be helpful i am not thinking about?

Let me offer a few thoughts:

1. There are lots of things that can be good when purchased cheaply or at a bargain. A tripod isn't one of them. I'd rather have no tripod and adjust accordingly (don't try for that slow exposure shot, or lean against the door frame. Or bungie the camera body to a tree) rather than BELIEVE my cheap tripod would keep it steady. You can find new tripods out there for $50-$75 and I believe that's a waste of your money (especially since you have to carry the tripod.

2. My two tripods are both manfrottos. One has a manfrotto ball head, the other a induro. I love both setups. But there are plenty of great tripod options out there.

3. Think through how you're going to use the tripod. I travel with a tripod on planes a LOT. So I need a tripod that will fit in carry-on baggage (b/c I never check camera gear since I did so in 1985 and lost two Pelican bags of bodies and lens and other gear). If you don't carry-on your tripods, than that's not a factor. If you shoot food or macro or documents than you want a center-column that will go horizontal. I don't so I don't need that. If you do landscapes and you hike 5 miles to get there (and then 5 miles back) than you want a tripod that is light and therefore almost certain CF (and works well with your backpack). If you're tall and have a bad back, then you've got some minimum height requirements for your tripod (so you're not bending over all the time during long shoots). Do you shoot a lot of studio work (like kids' sports teams) where you use a tripod to keep your mark--if so, than you want a big, heavy tripod that no-one will knock over if they back in to AND you can velcro stuff to (like a clip-board, light meter, etc.). If you shoot on rough or uneven ground you may want a tripod with spikes.

My point is not that you want all of those things. In fact some of them (a tripod that goes carry-one well will be less stable b/c it will likely be 3 or 4 leg sections) are likely to work against each other. My point is to be clear on what your priorities are. I rarely shoot with anything bigger than a 200mm f2.8. But if I was shooting wildlife with a 400mm bazooka, I'd probably seek a more stable tripod option than what I currently own. For me, I use a tripod almost entirely for location shooting outdoors....extended exposures of moving water, city lights. So my priorities were: fits within carry-on luggage, light for hiking, sets up quickly and breaks down quickly, will stabilize a lens of probably no more than 200mm and more likely to be something like a 50mm prime. So the tripod I choose for my landscape photography may be very different from the one you'd choose. Be clear on what you want it do to best.

Of those i'd pick the Vanguard, I really don't like the Manfrotto head and plate system. But the Manfrotto tripods themselves are really nice.

I have the Alta Pro 283 CB and SBH-250 head it's a good set of legs with a half decent head for the money. But the head is the weak point of all of these. I'll eventually get a good head and plate system.

But this is only my opinion, i am not an expert. I was in the exact same position you are in asking the exact same questions just a few months ago. And I know EXACTLY how frustrated you are as i was too :confused:

Of those i'd pick the Vanguard, I really don't like the Manfrotto head and plate system. But the Manfrotto tripods themselves are really nice.

I have the Alta Pro 283 CB and SBH-250 head it's a good set of legs with a half decent head for the money. But the head is the weak point of all of these. I'll eventually get a good head and plate system.

But this is only my opinion, i am not an expert. I was in the exact same position you are in asking the exact same questions just a few months ago. And I know EXACTLY how frustrated you are as i was too :confused:

Bill, your on the internet. That qualifies you as an expert on everything. It's just like being the Pope, well without the pointy hat of course.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

But I have a pointy hat, I must be the Pope !!!!!!

But it is kind of spelled funny on it, it's spelled DUNCE, that must be Latin for Pope right :mrgreen:

They all look like they're fine tripods. I think it's really about what it is that you're specifically looking for in your tripod. Out of those 4, some are lighter, others designed to hold heavier weight, didn't check the length they extend to or reduce to but I bet there are some differences.

Don't chose the best tripod. Chose the tripod that fits your needs.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well i got my Induro akb2 today and so far it looks like a great tripod. Tall, sturdy, well made. I think i got what i was looking for. Thanks for all of the input and advice

But I have a pointy hat, I must be the Pope !!!!!!

But it is kind of spelled funny on it, it's spelled DUNCE, that must be Latin for Pope right :mrgreen:

Pronounced doon'-say

I got a Manfrotto 190CSPRO4 with 496RC2 ball head and it's great. You can even set the tripod very low on the ground for flower shots. Depending on your height, you should also consider how high your tripod you want it to be, how many number of legs etc.

Ok BGeise, how do you like your Induro now that you had it a month? I am looking for tripod and curious to your choice.
Pros/cons?
Thanks, Nancy

Ok BGeise, how do you like your Induro now that you had it a month? I am looking for tripod and curious to your choice.
Pros/cons?
Thanks, Nancy

So far Nancy i love it! I don't regret my decision at all. It a great range of heights i love the ball head it is very strong and well built. The legs are very sturdy easy to operate overall great tripod i would recommend to anyone on a budget.

Cons i wish it could store a little smaller but it is a three section so that is a sacrifice but i want the stability.

I chose it over the manfrotto partly for price but also the fact i don't like the manfrotto monopod. i like to stick with the same brand.

Most reactions

Back