Looking for tutorials...

robb01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for some good tutorials or maybe just some general help. I've been watching the video series over at dslrtips.com and its proven to be most helpful. I guess I learn better if I'm presented with a certain situaion, and then suggested camera setting of how to shoot. Does anyone know of another series of tutorials that presents the information in a similiar way?

Basically, he teaches like this:

Taking Shots of Sunsets

Then gives suggested camera settings to catch an optimal shot.

Thanks everyone

Last edited:
Taking Shots of Sunsets
Then gives suggested camera settings to catch an optimal shot.

I haven't checked out those tutorials...but I'd think that that isn't the best way to learn.
I think it would be better to learn;
1. How to control your camera (shutter speed, aperture & ISO)
2. What each of those variables does for your exposure and how they affect your image (ie:Depth of field, motion, noise etc.)

Just using what some random photographer suggested may not give you the understanding to do it yourself.

Yep agree with Big Mike. It is akin to being taught just to get the plane off the runaway but then what? Know how to contact the tower or change a heading to avoid a storm?

There are all kinds of books,online tutorials that give you good basic understanding in how it all works and comes together to capture the image.

Check out my D40 blog link in my sig. There are all kinds of links to Tutorials,HowTo's,etc..
Also check out flickr it's free and can join all kinds of nikon and learning groups to post and read threads on wide varying information from the beginner to the advanced. Also you will get more links to specific tutorials on flash,tripod,Concerts,Sports,Wildlife,etc...

I would be careful of someone giving absolute instructions on how to take a photo - we are all different and see things differently. Using a f22, 125th of a second = f16, 250th of a second - which one is right? There are correct ways of metering which gets covered in the Understanding Exposure book and then theres the artistic look you want in a photo which may be different than what the meter tells you.

Definitely check out Digital Photography 1 on 1 in the link that vtf posted.

Most reactions

Back