I had a digital camera that I used for a few years. It's broken now and I no longer have it. All I could tell you is that it was made by Cannon.
I am looking for a new camera. Relativly inexpensive, digital, just needs to work. I am told by a friend that I want a compact. Not exactly sure what that means but they know what I want more than I do. But I want the most bang for my buck.
Looking to spend less than $350 if possible.
Does anyone have any sugestions?
Go to
www.dpreview.com - Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ, go to the menu on the left, choose "Buying Guide">"Features Search", then choose the things that are important to you, including the price limit.
I think for under $350, and given what you've said so far, your friend is likely correct - you want a compact. If you get a DSLR, even a used or entry level one, you're going to quickly find a need for additional lenses (a few to several hundred dollars each) to get the range of a compact, they're bulky, require some photographic knowledge of shutter and aperture and so on to really take advantage of them, and unless you're already interested in moving to a DSLR for specific reasons, you won't be as happy with it.
My 22 year old daughter was brought up around SLRs and DSLRs all her life, and has gotten my hand-me-downs as I upgrade, so she knows what they're about and what they're capable of and how to use them.
Nonetheless, a couple months ago she decided she wanted a new camera, and she specifically said she wants something small that can fit in her purse or pocket so she can carry it around easily, that's not expensive, that takes decent pictures. Like you, she said "it just has to work".
She and I sat down and went through the database on dpreview, and narrowed it down further and further, read the reviews on the final few, and she decided on
a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LS85. A quick review of Amazon and Pricegrabber showed her where to order it from to get the best price, and she got it a few days later.
She's had it a couple of months now, and says it works great for her - it's exactly what she was looking for at the price she wanted to pay.