Looking to buy a new camera

GrantWoj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone, so I'm looking at picking up a new camera and was looking for some advice. Currently I have the Rebel T6 and am looking to upgrade. I was thinking of moving to the 80D but wanted to see if that seemed like a proper upgrade for what I'm going to be doing.

First thing is that I am mostly going for wildlife and sports photography - The extra 5 FPS marks this off.

I am also thinking of getting into doing some video work - The added mic port to check audio during recording was a big bonus on the 80D

I can pick up an 80D for 700 bucks right now and wanted to get any advice before pulling the trigger and see if A: There is a camera that does those 2 things better at a similar price point and B: If for wildlife + sports photography (my main focus) is worth the upgrade.

I own the T5I and my son @ZombiesniperJr has the 80D.

For wildlife and sports it is a pretty decent upgrade.
The autofocus is improved as well has having 5 times the focus points.
More Pixels as well as handling low light better.
With the new processing power of the 80D and increased buffer size it will also shoot more continuous frames.

As for another camera in that price rage that can compete with the 80d.......not in the Canon lineup.

Oh, and daytime sports, night or both?

Mostly day time, but might be in tree covered areas (downhill mountain biking), it could also be inside. Most likely not night time.

I own the T5I and my son @ZombiesniperJr has the 80D.

For wildlife and sports it is a pretty decent upgrade.
The autofocus is improved as well has having 5 times the focus points.
More Pixels as well as handling low light better.
With the new processing power of the 80D and increased buffer size it will also shoot more continuous frames.

As for another camera in that price rage that can compete with the 80d.......not in the Canon lineup.

Thanks this makes dropping the 700 easier. I figured there wouldn't be anything in Canon for price vs performance, it seemed like the closest was the 90D or the 7D Mk II, both are out of my price range since I am looking at picking up another lens at some point.

Thanks for the help, I just ordered the 80D....now to find a lens since I only own the kit lens 18-55 II, EF-S 55-250 STM, and the crap 75-300 III

I don't have the 80D (I do have a 50D that I like very much and a T7i and a 6D II).

When I shoot sports indoors or at night I use the full frame. The low light performance is simply better even with the 70-200 f2.8 or (indoors/night) the 85 f 1.8 (indoors).

For outdoors daytime sports or wildlife in good light the T7i or 50D work very well.

I have only heard good things about the 80D but I thought I would toss out these couple of thoughts. Oh, and I think the 80D has some water sealing which is important for wildlife and outdoor sports.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back