Looking to buy an 85mm in the near future.

Here's a recent shot with the 85mm 1.4 AF-D lens, shot hand-held at f/2.8. You can see the way the focus transition is by looking at the brickwork.View attachment 109748

EXIF information says 2.37 meters distance, ISO 500, shutter speed 1/160 second.

Wow, that picture is really similar to a photograph I took with my Leica R4s and a Summicron 50. People standing next to brickwalls are cool. Am I right? :D

I have actually landed on buying the 85mm f/1.8G, I decided I wanted something with a lighter and more modern design including autofocus.

The Nikon 85/1.8Gis arguably among the best values going. The price/image quality quotient is damn near unbeatable.

Buy a couple cases of Veuve Clicquot with the money you'll save.

Rather buy some rolls of film for my Leica R ;)

But yeah, did some research on the 1.8G and it juts blows me away for what I get. And that's not even considering the rediciously low price I can get a used one for. Sure the 1.4G is better, but it costs the same as I could buy a 70-200 f/2.8 VRII for used.

Much the same sort of value is the Nikon 70-200/4G. Oddly, people who caution that f4 is compromising tend to forget that the 70-200/4 is one of Canon's most popular lenses. Don't think I ever knew a serious Canon shooter who didn't have one of those.

If I'm gonna shell out money on a 70-200, I'd take a 2.8. Rather have the old VR or the 80-200 than the f/4 to be honest.

Not that the f/4 isn't a good lens, I've tested it. I just want that extra stop and the increased build quality for a workhorse lens like the 70-200 is.

Most reactions

Back