Looking to buy my first DSLR; in need of assistance

Bundy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking to get into photography. I want to buy a nice DSLR, but have not previously owned one. I had the opportunity to use a friend's DSLR quite a bit about 6 months ago, and really enjoyed photography.

There is a good chance I will attempt to take photography to a professional level, doing things such as weddings, portraits, and the like. I also know for sure I want to do some "For Fun" photos. These will be things such as outdoors photos, sunsets, things like that. I'll also probably want to do some macros, but that comes more in the lens.

I want a camera body that can do all this, if possible. I realize the price will be steep. I was looking at something along the 5D Mark II. Obviously I don't plan to get a ton of lenses right away, so I'd also like to know what lens (or 2) to get to begin.

The reason I am looking at such a "High End" camera is because I already know I like hobby shooting, and a low end camera won't give me a feel for if I can really take it to the next level and make a career out of it.

Anyways...

All help appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

-Patrick

Nikon D3s
Nikon 14-24 f/2.8
Nikon 24-70 f/2.8
Nikon 70-200 f/2.8
Nikon 85mm f/1.4
2-3 SB-900 Speedlights
Full PocketWizard setup

That should give you a good start.

I'm sorry, but did you read my post? I appreciate the help, however I am unable to spend that much on it, at least to start. If your point was to say the 5D Mark II is inadequate for what I want to do, then you should have said so, as your post was actually a bit vague on what you meant.

Look into the Nikon D700 as your "do everything" camera: weddings, action/sports/documentary work, portraiture. Better viewfinder, focusing system, better light metering, and better flash control system than the 5D-II....since the 5D-II has no flash control system in it, and is basically a $389 EOS film body with $2,400 worth of sensor and electronics added to it. If you wish top spend "that kind of money", it makes sense to buy a camera where there is more than $400 allocated to the body, viewfinder, and the sub-systems that make up the camera. The 5D series has always been about a fantastic sensor, trapped in a cheap, lower-tier Canon body.

Lenses...maybe look at the new Nikon 24-120mm f/4 VR lens for al all-in-one type of zoom lens. Or look at some of the other 50+ million F-mount lenses made since 1959.

I did read what you wrote, where do you specify a budget? You wanted a high end system for professional photography that could do a variety of things such as weddings, portraits and the like. You didn't want low end because it wouldn't give you a 'feel'. I gave you a great recommendation on gear.

If you want more specifics, be more specific.

I appreciate your willingness to skip 'entry level' bodies, most people don't understand that a pro body is just as easy to use (if not easier) than entry level bodies, they just lack the 'auto modes' and of course cost more.

D700 is an incredible body for a lot less than the D3 series, highly recommended.

Last edited:
I'm a Canon shooter but I have to say the D700 Derrel suggested is great because it's so versatile. It does everything well. I don't know if it wins in any one segment but it scores really well in all of them and is comparable in price to the 5D2. The 5D2 is a really nice camera as well but it isn't as versatile as the Nikon, the main drawbacks being it's focusing system and burst rate. It's resolution is outstanding and if you were really going to concentrate on just landscapes and other static objects it's hard to beat.

What I was looking to spend on a body was in the 5d2 range. Thought I had mentioned it in my original post. Sorry if I came off as rude in my previous post.

Looking at the D700, it seems pretty nice. Somewhere I was browsing mentioned it is expected the D700 will be getting a "Replacement" model sometime soon. If this is true, would that mean I should wait for the new model, as it would drive the D700 price down?

Also, another question would be "To Prime or Not to Prime." I looked at the different Pros and Cons, but for a portrait type of setting, I cannot make a good decision. It seems that prime would be the way to go, as you'd be shooting at consistent ranges, but would like some clarification, because like I said, I am still a "NOOB".

EDIT: The budget is not a hard, set in stone budget. However, I am looking in the mid $2000 range. I had mistyped my first post. It had meant to say I was looking for cameras in the price range of the md2

Last edited:
What do you have budgeted for lenses? Not that you have to get them all at once, but they're a sizable investment on their own. Granted I have a pretty cheap body myself but my main three lenses add up to about six times the price I paid for the body.

As far as an upcoming replacement, I wouldn't worry too much about that. There's always something new coming around the corner. There's pretty wide speculation about replacements for both the D700 and 5D2 at this point.

Well, as far as lenses, I wouldn't want to spend more than about $750 right away. I am unsure the price of a good lens, so I am hoping this would cover atleast one nice lens. If not, I could bump it up to enough for one nice lens. Looked at the lenses suggested by Light Artisian, and the prices made me cringe. I assume there are alternatives that would be perfectly fine for what I want to do, or atleast something that is different, and I can come back to those lenses later.

If you couldn't tell by this already, I don't want to buy a lens I will later need to upgrade (Replace?) because it became inadequate. I realize different lenses do different things, but I need the lens I get to begin to do what it is intended to do well enough so that I won't have to get something to do the same thing better.

Edit: My posts sound like the ramblings of a madman. :p

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back