Looking to upgrade need some advice.

kalmkidd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
so i currently have a Nikon D3000 18-55 kit lens and a 70-200. im at the point where i would like to purchase a new camera def a nikon so i can continue to share my lenses, and keep my d3000 as a back up camera. i really like landscape/street more than anything and tax time was fairly good to me.

for a photographer who is now enrolled in photography courses and some decent experience what camera would you recommend i get next?

OR is it not even worth getting a new body and just get some new glass?

also i will be buying used using ebay and buying off a good feedback seller.

Any nikon DSLR above the 3000 would be a worthwhile upgrade; as they all have CMOS sensors now except for the 3000.

To make it easier to decide you could first decide which sensor to go for first, since many of nikon's cameras have similar sensors.

There are really only five different types of sensors/image quality

1) D3000 (10.2mp CCD )
2) D90,D3100,D300s (12.3mp cmos)
3) D7000 (16.2mp cmos)
4) D700, D3 (12.3mp full-frame cmos)
5) D3x (24.5mp full-frame cmos)

I would suggest something in group 2 or 3.

I suggest you buy nothing.

Seriously, think about it.

It seems as though you are upgrading just to upgrade. You don't list anything specific as a reason for upgrading, other than tax time was good to you. Therefore, the best thing to do with your money is save it. Otherwise, what about the D3000 limits you? Do you find yourself maxing out the ISO and it's too noisy? You shoot landscape/street so I'm assuming FPS rate is probably not important to you. Don't just look at numbers such as megapixels and random things like ccd vs. cmos. Think about what shots you are missing because of your camera and/or lens. We are all guilty of gear lust. However, when you back away from that instinct and really look at your style of photography, would a more expensive camera make a difference?

I suggest you buy nothing.

Seriously, think about it.

It seems as though you are upgrading just to upgrade. You don't list anything specific as a reason for upgrading, other than tax time was good to you. Therefore, the best thing to do with your money is save it. Otherwise, what about the D3000 limits you? Do you find yourself maxing out the ISO and it's too noisy? You shoot landscape/street so I'm assuming FPS rate is probably not important to you. Don't just look at numbers such as megapixels and random things like ccd vs. cmos. Think about what shots you are missing because of your camera and/or lens. We are all guilty of gear lust. However, when you back away from that instinct and really look at your style of photography, would a more expensive camera make a difference?

i was just saying this to myself actually. however maybe get some new glass such as a 50mm prime.

and with getting prime lenses i was considering the D90 as its not to expensive and seems to be a big upgrade from the d3000.

Last edited:
Unless you know how an upgrade will improve your photography, I would also advise you to buy nothing.

The D3000 is a great entry level camera and I would suggest taking it to its limits before spending unecessary money. I'd wager it's not the camera that's preventing you from taking satisfactory photos.

Really think about what photos you want to take and why you can't take those shots with the equipment you already have.

I don't agree with the others... there is a significant jump in image quality when you go from a D3000 to ANY of the other nikon bodies, due to the differences between a CCD sensor CMOS.

For only around $200 you could replace your D3000 with a D3100 (assuming you sell the D3000). It would be a worthwhile upgrade considering you've already invested a good deal of $$ in glass (70-200mm isn't cheap!)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back