Losing Motivation

leopardforest

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This summer I got a XTi and have been taking a lot of pictures and can see myself progressing. I just started college though and I feel like I am losing my motivation and creativeness. My college is a Maritime college therefore more military like. There is a position open in the yearbook staff for photo editor. Do you have any suggestions to motivate my self to take the time to take photos and what subjects I should shoot. I live on a small campus and have a limited cash flow for traveling.

Thanks!!!!

Motivation comes from within - if you can't think of a single thing you want to shoot, or haven't seen any shots or photography that you aspire to, then maybe this isn't the right hobby for you. There's nothing wrong with that.

i think that is the problem...I see certain scenes, people, objects, etc that I want to shoot and thats all i think about, but I feel that it will take away from my education (engineering major). I just need to pick up my camera and start shooting and it will come back. thanks for listening

It's important to give both sides of your brain a work-out. It will make a you a better engineer.

Engineering is about problem-solving, as is photography. You can turn that around somewhat by limiting yourself technically. Only shoot at a certain Aperture and ISO, and a certain focal length - better yet, get a prime lens so you won't even have the temptation of zooming. Now go out and see what you can shoot with that - it will force you to be creative, to only think about composition rather than all the technical aspects of photography... and give that other half of your brain that much-needed work-out.

Good luck.

i can definitely see myself doing that. I do have a nifty fifty which definitely reduces options and i like my 50 because it is what i learned on. but at the same time i can do that with my wider angle 17-70 sigma that is a lot of fun. thanks for the advice. tomorrow i am going to start shooting again.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back