Lost edits in lightroom

Moe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
[deleted]

Last edited:
uh oh.. this happened to me.. i know there is a way to fix it.. I just cant remember what.. at the time, I just ended up re editing.. but, I read somewhere recently about the file that contains the edits.. hopefully someone chimes in to help you out..

Your workflow with the file movement, doens't sound like a good one.

I'd suggest putting the files where they are meant to end up, then do your work in LR.

Your workflow with the file movement, doens't sound like a good one.

I'd suggest putting the files where they are meant to end up, then do your work in LR.

I agree 100% with mike on this one.. its silly to edit the photos, THEN move them... put them where they belong, then start your editing

Your edits are stored in 'sidecar files' and you probably didn't move the sidecar files along with the RAW files. Your edits (the sidecar files) are back in the folder where the RAW file was when you did the edits. If you deleted the sidecar files your edit info is gone unless they are still sitting in the recycle bin.

I realize it's not the best workflow. However, I have a laptop and didn't want to be plugged in to the external HD while editing. I thought LR should be able to handle the move.

By the way, the wedding photos were not a paid gig. Far from it. Just a guy in the crowd with a DSLR. It was a beach wedding with about 50 people in attendance. No joke, there had to be at least 8-10 people with DSLR firing away. I wasn't even going to bring mine out, but I thought, "when in Rome." :lol:

Thanks KmH. I'll check it out when I get home from work.

I realize it's not the best workflow. However, I have a laptop and didn't want to be plugged in to the external HD while editing. I thought LR should be able to handle the move
It can...as long as you know how to do it properly....which (I think) is to either do it in the Library module of LR or if you are doing it externally, make sure you move the sidecar files.
I have a laptop and didn't want to be plugged in to the external HD while editing.
You shouldn't have to. Lightroom can edit photos without actually having access to the files. (although you may have to pre-load the full size previews). Just import the files from the HD, then when you disconnect the HD, they should still show up in LR...but there will be a red light (or some icon) next to them, showing that LR doesn't have access to the files (or doesn't know where they are). When you plug the HD back in, LR should then recognize them again...and I think it will automatically sync up the edits.

Lastly, doing photo editing with a laptop isn't recommended. ;)

I wondered how long it would be until someone commented on my editing the photos on a laptop. Hey,trust me, if I thought the limiting factor in my photographs was the monitor on which I edit them, it would be quickly replaced; as would my camera, lenses, etc. I wish it were that easy. :lol:

Thanks, Mike, for the info. I guess that's what I'll do from now on. I just got the laptop about a month ago and I'm already spoiled on the portability.

It's no big deal that I have to re-edit. I'm basically doing it for me, anyway.

Another couple questions. Once I sync up the edits, am I able to export them without reconnecting the HD? Also, are the sidecar files in the same folder as the original RAWs?

Last edited:
Another question. Once I sync up the edits, am I able to export them without reconnecting the HD?
I don't know...but my guess would be no. Exporting takes a while because that's when LR access the original files, applies the edits and saves/outputs the new image files.

So this isa question I've been confused on for a while. all my images are on an external HD. Originally I thought it would be good to havethe catalog also on that HD, because I have multiple laptops, and then either one could be plugged in and work in that catalog, but as it turns out, I only use one laptop (the faster one); and as the OP found out, I can't work on the files without being hooked into the HD. Should I move the catalog onto my Laptop HD and then just have the files on the External HD? Sorry if this is a hijack, but it seemed to be pretty in linewith the OP's question.

So I haven't had time to fully decide my edits are gone, but I found out (I think) that lightroom does NOT automatically store sidecar files. You have to go under catalog settings and check a box. FYI, for those who are interested.

I have a laptop and didn't want to be plugged in to the external HD while editing. I thought LR should be able to handle the move.

-

So this isa question I've been confused on for a while. all my images are on an external HD. Originally I thought it would be good to havethe catalog also on that HD, because I have multiple laptops, and then either one could be plugged in and work in that catalog, but as it turns out, I only use one laptop (the faster one); and as the OP found out, I can't work on the files without being hooked into the HD. Should I move the catalog onto my Laptop HD and then just have the files on the External HD? Sorry if this is a hijack, but it seemed to be pretty in linewith the OP's question.

Anyone?

I don't know for sure...but it would make sense that you would have to at least have the catalog on the same system.

You might try asking this on the forums at Luminous Landscape, they have a fairly active Lightroom section, if I remember correctly.

Most reactions

Back