Love Shooting in Fall - Need some light help...

Saddlebreds4me

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi!

I was wondering if I could get some C & C on this photo. I didn't have too many choices in terms of time or position of the horse when I shot this. The lower sunlight in the afternoon and the leaves I wanted to bring out but didn't have a lot of time to think about how to do it effectively.

Snorkle15-1.jpg

From an expression standpoint, it's perfect and what I love about my mare - she is ALL show horse and yet will curl up in your lap in the next minute. I know I should take care of the 'drool' around her mouth :)

Anyway, how could I have effectively used the lighting I had available to me? Which was early afternoon October in New England.

Thanks in advance!!

The horse looks freaked out. You should take a couple minutes letting the horse relax around you. Why don't you try bracketing ? Pretty simple and you'll figure it out quickly ;)

The horse looks freaked out. You should take a couple minutes letting the horse relax around you. Why don't you try bracketing ? Pretty simple and you'll figure it out quickly ;)

Thank you for replying! But she is not freaked out in the least bit...she has that look more often than not - my breed of horse is primarily a show horse, when she is working whether in practice or in a horse show - she has that very bright look in her eye - it's one of the things that people who love Saddlebreds, love about the breed - their expression. My mare would curl up in your lap if she could...that bright 'eye' is very desireable in the show world - just trust me when I say she isn't freaked out in the least bit.

I do like your idea of bracketing - I'm not sure why that very simple technique escaped me...must be getting old...lol! :lmao:

Again, many thanks for the reply!

She always looks like that? You should get the horse tested... Because I think she may be on drugs.. lol.. Wow that thing looks like shes about to kill someone

She always looks like that? You should get the horse tested... Because I think she may be on drugs.. lol.. Wow that thing looks like shes about to kill someone

She is hardly going to kill someone! Like I stated in my previous post - Saddlebreds often have lots of expression especially when they are posing for the camera (and yes they know it!) .

Much like some breeds of dogs have a certain 'look' to them - some breeds of horses are the same way - they have a certain look and certain traits - Saddlebreds are naturally show horses - they love an audience and they love to show off - that look is very characteristic of the breed. I could have climbed aboard this mare bareback and take a trail ride right after this photo was taken without one moment of hesitation. I'd put a three year old on her.

She's not on drugs or anything else...If anyone would like further information on the breed, please feel free to PM me.

C & C as requested.

I would have liked shallower depth of field for this shot, I think it would have been lovely to have more of just blends of bright fall colors in the background. I don't really like being able to easily make out all the trees in the background.

The horse looks alert, not freaked out. That said, I do find it very distracting that she is looking out of the frame. It leads my eyes right out of the frame searching for what she is instensely looking at.

C & C as requested.

I would have liked shallower depth of field for this shot, I think it would have been lovely to have more of just blends of bright fall colors in the background. I don't really like being able to easily make out all the trees in the background.

The horse looks alert, not freaked out. That said, I do find it very distracting that she is looking out of the frame. It leads my eyes right out of the frame searching for what she is instensely looking at.

Thank you Laika - that's what I was looking for - I appreciate you taking the time to respond. The looking out of the frame is a desired 'look' for our horses - meaning she is constantly looking around and aware of her surroundings.

I would also like to point out that if this horse were 'about to kill someone' do you really think the reins of the bridle would simply be loosely hanging around her neck?

I also like the idea of just blending the fall leaves in the background - thanks again for your help.

Personally, I would use fill flash and see how that works for you. It will bring out the muted colors (washed out by the sun and harsh shadows).

I created this example this summer. Here's a shot of my son on a swing taken in direct sunlight on a hot Kansas afternoon.

550397281_TKVfi-L.jpg

This shot was taken a few moments later using a hot shoe mounted flash.

550389548_uZGbK-L.jpg

This one was taken a few days ago. This time we weren't in direct sun, but sun was coming through the clouds and trees making harsh shadows and muting the colors. A little flash helped bring the color out both in my sons' eyes and in the background.

670911280_BGcmR-L.jpg

inTempus,

Your shots are beautiful! I mainly shoot in natural light but I would try a fill flash just to see if I could get some of the desired effects I'm looking for as well as take out the harshness of some of the shadows...thank you for the suggestion and taking time to reply.

Your son is so handsome!

inTempus,

Your shots are beautiful! I mainly shoot in natural light but I would try a fill flash just to see if I could get some of the desired effects I'm looking for as well as take out the harshness of some of the shadows...thank you for the suggestion and taking time to reply.

Your son is so handsome!
Thank you. :)

Yeah, give fill flash a try and see how it works for you. You might find that it really brings a whole new dimension to your photography. Often times people over look flash thinking they don't need it on sunny days. Heck, I've found I use my flash more on sunny days than I do in low light. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back