What's new

Love taking pic's

tammindanny01

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 3, 2014
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
Location
New Jersy
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Looking for feedback. I love to take pic's of Nature,
 

Attachments

  • $2013-12-10 Snow (1).webp
    $2013-12-10 Snow (1).webp
    443.6 KB · Views: 125
  • $Sky October 7 2013 (5).webp
    $Sky October 7 2013 (5).webp
    316.6 KB · Views: 119
They appear to be snapshots with weak composition and limited processing. Invest in a few good books like Understanding Exposure and go from there.
 
The lack of processing doesn't bother me, but I agree that the compositions are quite weak and there is not enough attention paid to the light. That doesn't mean you have to manipulate the light, but be aware of what the light is doing. In these pictures, the light is quite grey and flat and that can potentially kill even a strong composition. Remember that the camera doesn't see light the way our eyes do, so sometimes a sky might look dramatic but without the right conditions, it will be very very tricky to capture anything even close with a camera.
 
I guarantee you, this will be the best $9.98 you could spend on improving your photo skills. He was one of the best authors for how-to photo books. I have read much of what he wrote. I buy them at Goodwill these days for $3 when I find them. They were a big part of my learning process 30-some years ago.

John Hedgecoe's Complete Photography Course (Hardcover)


Amazon.com: Buying Choices: John Hedgecoe's Complete Photography Course
 
You are trying to show us something but it's not coming over, not really. Don't despair; you want to show us something and this is the first step. Toddlers want to tell us something, too, and we don't always understand what it is, although to them it's perfectly clear! However, the way of the world is, they have to learn to communicate on our terms - though we need to help them to learn to do this. I don't agree that your photos are snapshots because there is an intention there, but they aren't that much more either at the moment.

You say that you like taking photos of nature, so perhaps you should look through some nature magazines to see how the photos are composed and then go out and try to do something similar.
 
Ok image one i sort of get, its a image of ice built up and you are showing that to us right? lol image 2 well what the hell are we looking at is it the sky the building the power lines???? i dont get it, also its not even Level.
 
You got one think right though. Coming here and asking for constructive advice is a good step.Just don't get discouraged or offended.Keep shooting lots of pictures and reading. Look at pictures that you really like and ask yourself why you like them, then apply that when out there shooting pictures.
 
Ok image one i sort of get, its a image of ice built up and you are showing that to us right? lol image 2 well what the hell are we looking at is it the sky the building the power lines???? i dont get it, also its not even Level.

You might be right, but you don't have to say it in such a dickish manner. No need to argue this point. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Welcome to the forum OP. As stated above you were trying to communicate SOMETHING to us. But it appears as you don't really know how. I don't mean that in a bad way. NOBODY'S first photos are any good. Most of them flat out stink. I know mine were crap, might still be too haha. So really don't be offended by anybody's criticism. In one way or another they were most likely only trying to help. Some are just better "communicators" than others.

I'd also second the suggestion that its a good start to come here, and I would also start with a good book on basic photography. Understanding Exposure by Bryan Petersen would be my choice for a good base to start with. There are many others probably better but that was easy enough to follow.

And don't try to learn everything at once. Take your time and enjoy it. Maybe try or learn about something new each day and putting it to practical use. Or at your own pace. It's a process. And you will constantly find out that you are or were doing things the "wrong way" as you learn how to do them the "right way". Whatever that is for you.

If I was you I would read that book and follow along with your camera. Don't move to the next chapter until you understand and have done SOMETHING practical involving what you learned. Can be anything at all, photos of a soda can to present difference of DOF, whatever you choose. Finish the book and go out and shoot on your own, one of your favorite nature places. Leave the book at home and shoot away using what you've learned. At that point come back here to this thread and post some photos showing us your improvement.

I look forward to seeing it. Sorry this was so long. Enjoy the ride.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom