Low-Cost Beginner Photography Camera?

Patm1313

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Photography has always been my thing. It's just always been that way. And last year, when my Dad received a Minolta 8.0 MP (non-SLR) as a gift, I started taking photos a lot more often. I took amazing pictures at his wedding, and have been taking pictures of stuff every since.

So, here's the deal. I am an 8th grader, and because of my good grades (straight A's, thank you very much), my parents are considering getting me a camera. It's a tough decision, because they are a bit cheap, and I feel that anything over the $200 range will turn them off to it. I really wanted an SLR, but no, because of the fact previously stated. I hate non-SLRs because they are a pain in the rump to take photos with. The photography that I like, and do most often, doesnt involve something like, say, a plant, where everything is still and you can take your time. I take pictures of animals ( ie. my pet corn snake, wildlife, etc.) people, and other such things that are constantly moving. And any photographer knows that in order to get that perfect shot, you may have to take like 100 shots before you find the perfect one. Doing this with a non-SLR is just plain draining.

Edit: I guess I'm going to save up now for a SLR or atleast a better P/S, so what are some good beginner cameras, where price guidelines don't matter?

I think with what I have said, someone must know a good camera for me. I have tried looking online, but to no avail. Thanks in advance for any replies.

-Patm1313

Assuming that by "manual zoom" you mean messing with a ring on the lens instead of hitting a button, I'm 99% sure that you won't find that for under 200 bucks, because AFAIK there is no P&S that offers this.

And I wouldn't be so sure that it takes 100 shots to get the perfect one. I might only have 1 in 100 that I'd put on a wall, but you're sure gonna wear out a camera pretty quick if you're taking 1500 shots a day, of only 15 different things. But I did start out like that nonetheless, I'm just saying that the number before the "perfect shot" will go down as you become more comfortable with your camera.

SAVE UP!!
i too am in 8th grade and i just purchased a d40. do your parents have a p&s that you can use until you get enough money

Assuming that by "manual zoom" you mean messing with a ring on the lens instead of hitting a button, I'm 99% sure that you won't find that for under 200 bucks, because AFAIK there is no P&S that offers this.

And I wouldn't be so sure that it takes 100 shots to get the perfect one. I might only have 1 in 100 that I'd put on a wall, but you're sure gonna wear out a camera pretty quick if you're taking 1500 shots a day, of only 15 different things. But I did start out like that nonetheless, I'm just saying that the number before the "perfect shot" will go down as you become more comfortable with your camera.

That's only been my experience with shooting corn snakes. They are constantly moving, have an irregular shape, and because of the shine on their scales, the light needs to be diffused perfectly to get a decent shot.

I figured so much. I guess I'll just save up then...

I would try one of the superzoom non-slrs out there. They make some really good ones that you can get for about 200 and they have great range for those wildlife photos you were talking about. I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20, and I would assume it could be had for 200 bucks used. It isn't anywhere near perfect, but you definitely get more than what you pay for IMO.

Nikon just came out with one of its first superzooms, and other companies like Olympus have a few of them. All hope is not lost, you will just have to compromise a little. It sucks, but it beats going camera-less.

I liked my Canon S5is, great camera with lots of nice features. Long stabilized zoom lens, a big tilt/swing display, 8 meg. Feels like a compact dslr with a lensmate attached. I sold it only to be able to afford my dslr.
...Terry

Thanks for all the replies. I've decided on a D40, and I'll pay some of the price.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back