Low Key

ElizaMM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would like to emulate the second portrait on this page: lightstalking.com/low-key-photography/ (young man, dark hair). Without placing the speedlight really close to the face I cannot get the light spread similarly reduced, even with a paper snoot taped around the speedlight. Does someone know how to do this?+

Thank you. I shall make sure that I don't say it out loud in public (except, perhaps, at Henrys).
Some of the ads say 1/8" thickness and some say that there are several options -- 1/8, l/4, etc. Does that mean that there are actual moving parts on some of these devices to control the area of spread ?
By the way, I just looked at the Opteka at Amazon.ca and it is four times the price it is on Amazon.com -- $40. Seems expensive for a little piece of plastic.
Until I order one, I think that I have the idea now and will produce something temporary for the potato-chip can that I am using as a snoot.

Thank you. I shall make sure that I don't say it out loud in public (except, perhaps, at Henrys).
Some of the ads say 1/8" thickness and some say that there are several options -- 1/8, l/4, etc. Does that mean that there are actual moving parts on some of these devices to control the area of spread ?
By the way, I just looked at the Opteka at Amazon.ca and it is four times the price it is on Amazon.com -- $40. Seems expensive for a little piece of plastic.
Until I order one, I think that I have the idea now and will produce something temporary for the potato-chip can that I am using as a snoot.
No moving parts. The various thicknesses produce different light spread. Thinner grids make a wider spread, and vice-versa. If you don't want to spend the $10 (US) or $40 (Can), you can make one using short lengths of soda straw glued together in a mat arrangement that then is placed in front of your flash.

The problem you're dealing with is light spread. The futher you get from the subject the bigger the circle illuminated. As mentioned a grid helps control the spread. You mentioned using a DYI potatoe chip can, which similarly reduces the light spread by focusing the beam. Tape a second can to the first and you focus even more. You can also add black poster board flags taped to the end to create a slit to create a narrow width beam.

Without a modeling light it's difficult to see the effect before the shot. Try this, use a flashlight with your DYI snoot temporarily. In a darkened room shine it on a wall. By moving back and forth and playing with the flags or other modifications on the end you can get a light area you like. Note the distance from the wall. Now reattach the DYI snoot on your speedlight, set it at the distance you noted from your subject, and set your power for exposure. This is where an incident meter really helps, but you can do by trial and error.

The link was just an example; there are a thousand options, and as mentioned, you can fairly easily make your own. If you live in/near a major center check out the local used gear store; chances are they will have grids from old studio lights and such that you can adapt with a bit of gaff tape. In general the length/depth is much less a factor than the diameter of the individual "straws"; the smaller the diameter, the tighter the pattern.

Another point, on a snoot, the longer it is the smaller and more defined the edges are, including any modifiers attached to the end.

There's also the option of old school barn doors, or a handy little Fresnel lens adapter REVIEW: Better Beamer Flash Extender

Most grids are @1/2 inch thick, what changes is the size of the honeycomb openings that determine the beam angle. The smaller the honeycomb the tighter the beam. Typically a 10 degree is the narrowest with a 20, 30 and 40 being the typical 4 grid set. There is a double thick grid with the 10 degree honeycomb then it is a 3 degree. However they are usually in a 7” round design for strobe reflectors.

Derrel’s link is a good DIY. One can also use a 3x2 plastic downpout adapter to build a speedlite grid with the straws. I made 4 grids using the plastic adapter but I lucked out with legit aluminum honeycomb in 40 degree from an old light fixture.

Wow! $6.99 for the above ready-made speedlight grid. Definitely worth the (low) price.

Thought I'd post a photo of my DIY speedlite grids. These are the plastic downspout adapters painted flat black, on the left is a single grid layer, on the right a double grid layer.
YN560-II_grids.jpg

Those look very well-made.

Thanks. They do a good job of restricting spill and give me a quick grid that is not too spendy. ;)

I should have added a heat gun was used to soften up the plastic to fit the speedlites before assembly and paint.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back