Low light concert photo...

Works for me. In this instance the subdued colors and lighting is natural and conveys the mood.

Nicely done! The framing is good, the light is good.

The one quibble I have is that it feels like the shadows are a little too open, especially on the left side. Is that light area evening sky? Whatever it is, it's a little distracting. I would push all the levels down a bit, gently, so bring a little more focus to the musicians.

Nicely done! The framing is good, the light is good.

The one quibble I have is that it feels like the shadows are a little too open, especially on the left side. Is that light area evening sky? Whatever it is, it's a little distracting. I would push all the levels down a bit, gently, so bring a little more focus to the musicians.

I will play around with some burning. Not quite sure what you are meaning by the shadows being "open".

Here is another. Still working on it in post, not liking how obvious the NR is on it....

_DSC4878 by Matt Francosky, on Flickr

Same setup as the first.

p!nK

"open" shadows just means they're too light, I can see into them too much. I'm not 100% sure anyone else uses the word the same way! I think it's a "term of art" but I could be wrong!

Here's what I thought about a quick edit:

$7974427065_28ab2d8a3f_b.jpg

Essentially just used a curve with the middle pulled back, which held the highlights, got rid of some of the noise, enhanced the contrast and made the subject stand out a bit more. I also cloned out the bright light next to the mic, and cropped out the lighter mass on the left side.

I love the soft bokeh going on in the top right. The light sky in the top left doesn't bother me, I actually thing the background makes it a more interesting shot. My quibble is with the skin tone... I'm not quite sure what to suggest to fix it, but it just seems like the yellow is either too yellow or too saturated against the rest of the overall color palette.

Most reactions

Back