Which lens do you suggest for a concert?

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm going to see a reggae band in Baltimore next month in a club. :afro:

Fairly big venue but I'm not sure how bright the lighting will be, although the club is designed primarily to host bands so I suspect the lighting will be okay. No flash photography permitted. I'm shooting with a D90. Not sure how close I will be able to get to the stage.

Here are a couple of photos that show the inside of the club that might be helpful: https://plus.google.com/115139609352442198086/about?hl=en

My fastest lenses are my Nikon 50mm 1.8 and my Tokina 100mm 2.8. I like the idea of the Tokina because I can get shots from farther away, but I'm not sure 2.8 will be fast enough, and if I get too close, 100mm will be too long of a focal length.

Thoughts?

I also have the 35mm 1.8 but I'm guessing I will hear too much "CA" and not good for "people photography" but who knows...

Thanks.

2.8 should be fast enough if you tweak in enough ISO.

I shot this pic in the dark, I shot 2.8 and if i recall around 3200/4000 ISO to achieve decent shutter speed with my 70-200 VRII handheld

SRW_4180.jpg

f2.8 is plenty fast enough unless you are trying to get secondary characters not in the spotlight.

2.8 should be fast enough if you tweak in enough ISO.

I shot this pic in the dark, I shot 2.8 and if i recall around 3200/4000 ISO to achieve decent shutter speed with my 70-200 VRII handheld

SRW_4180.jpg

Yeah, but you are using a D700, not a measly D90. :mrgreen:

I will push the ISO on the Tokina and take that lens with me. Still thinking about this one...

I think the 100mm on a DX body may be a little tight. It will be good for close ups, but I think it will be hard to get anything else with that lens. The 50mm and 35mm should work well in combination for when you are closer and want the whole band. I have never shot a band so this is strictly an educated guess.

I think the 100mm on a DX body may be a little tight. It will be good for close ups, but I think it will be hard to get anything else with that lens. The 50mm and 35mm should work well in combination for when you are closer and want the whole band. I have never shot a band so this is strictly an educated guess.

I think that may depend on where he stands in regards to distance from subjects, he mentioned "shots from farther away" being a plus
bigthumb.gif

[h=1][/h]

I'd agree with Scuba...100mm on DX, indoors...very tight framing...which could be good from far back, or from the balcony shown in the photo. Honestly though, the 50/1.8 would be my low-light choice....it will focus faster and more-accurately than most macro lenses will at INDOOR distances...most macro lenses (non-Zeiss MF being a notable exception) have absolutely hair-trigger focusing at the 20-40-50-60 foot distance ranges you'd likely be shooting from...good enough that the AF system would give you the go-ahead to shoot, but, on say 20% of frames, the focus might very well be "off" just enough to ruin shots. The D90 + 50mm combo is also very small and inconspicuous. That would be the stripped down outfit I'd take.

The D90 + 50mm combo is also very small and inconspicuous. That would be the stripped down outfit I'd take.

I think that's right, Derrell. I've already made contact with the owner of the club too, and if there are any issues with photography he's agreed to lock up my camera in the box office so I don't have to carry it around all night.

I'd be toting both lenses, even considering the crop factor at 50mm you best have some good close seats or employ the crop tool in post
bigthumb.gif

Wow @ the video...nice

14-600 1.4 would be my preferred lens for this!:p

(I would probably actually use my 85 1.4 or my 70-200 2.8).. both of which you could rent and try out if you wanted (Borrowlenses, etc.)

+1

70-200 is the only lens I tote to indoor concert events, and is usually shot at 200. I don't get the front row seats unfortunately

This show is GA (general admission), so I suspect lots of folks will be standing.

Dammit, Jim! My babysitter just backed out on me! :soapbox:

The gear you have could work. F2.8 is fast enough if you jack up the ISO to about 1600-3200. If they have lighting behind them you can get good shots. Now if it is like a black hole behind them, like most small shows, it may be difficult.

Backlighting:

DSC02894 green screen by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

Black hole:

wmd john by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

This show is GA (general admission), so I suspect lots of folks will be standing.

Dammit, Jim! My babysitter just backed out on me! :soapbox:

Weak!

Most reactions

Back