Low light, indoor sports lens options

iRswap

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all,
I recently started shooting wrestling events which as you can probably already assume, is dark and fast paced. I shot the last event with the 16-80 f2.8-4 "kit lens" that came with my d500 and although the photos actually turned out great, i still feel like i may need a faster lens. Now bear in mind, my mind is already blown with how well the d500 preforms even with the kit lens. I am simply looking for options as far as fast zoom lenses goes. Ive googled it and it seems like every site shows the same nikon ambassador shooting basketball in "low light" even when the court is better lit than one of Oprah's talk shows. So that hasnt helped.
Now i have looked in to the 17-55 f2.8 which along with its full frame brother, used to be my dream lenses but that seems out dated despite their still valuable preformance.
So that being said, im all eyes and look forward to seeing your responses.
Ps. Budget is no matter.

Ps. Budget is no matter.
Lucky you!

Don't get turned off by the phrase "kit lens" Nikon bundles some pretty damn good glass with their bodies. Assuming you want a zoom lens, your choices are limited: 17-55, 24-70, or 70-200 in 2.8. You can go with a prime and get down to 1.4, but even at aquatic events (usually the worst lighting of all sporting venues in my experience), I've had no problems shooting at f4, especially with modern bodies. Figure out what focal range you are using and purchase based on that, 'though to be honest, I'm not sure you need anything else. The 16-80 is, by all accounts a pretty capable lens.

Haha i am far from lucky! To be honest, im broke and in the "starving artist" category but if i can find something that will help me in my future i will stop at nothing to obtain it.
As far as my range goes, i fully utilized the 16-80 during the last event. And honestly, if it was a fixed aperture even a 2.8 at 80mm would be a perfect lens for me. Certainly it would allow me to lower the iso a little. But hell, only when pixel peeping do i notice noise from those photos at 2500iso even 3200. But that is why im here asking. Simply to see if there is a diamond in the rough buried beneath the pile of nikkor and other brand flagship lenses.

At what focal length (mm setting) did you take most of your pictures?

At what focal length (mm setting) did you take most of your pictures?

I used to wrestle. I'm familiar with both overhead and spot-light match lighting.

If you used mostly 35mm, then a 35mm f/1.8 DX AF-S lens would be fine,and fast-aperture. If you shoot from slightly farther away, a 50mm f/1.8 AF-S G-series or 50/1.8 AF-D is an adequately fast-aperture short telephoto lens. Both of the G-series models are sub-$200 lenses,and plentiful used.

I dunno...f/2.8~4 on a 16mm to 80mm lens sounds pretty good to me with a D500, a good High ISO body...I could live with that.

The 17-55mm f/2.8 is a good lens, and gives you the constant f/2.8 maximum f/stop value across the range, but it's still "only" a 55mm at the long end of the range.

I am usually ringside. I do have a 50mm 1.8, the older version that was what $120 or so. It is one of my favorite lenses, usually i keep it on a d90 back up. I do utalize the entire focal range of the 16-80 and it seems nearly perfect. Maybe that lens will be my go to for these events. Hell two votes of confidence is enough for me. I reviewed a lot of the images from the last event, i can not believe how sharp they are from that 16-80, however like i said in a previous reply; if it was a constant 2.8 it would be flawless in my eyes. Hah. Thank you all for your feedback i really do appreciate it.

Are you referring to professional wrestling or amateur wrestling?

If it is professional wrestling, it's literally what I spend most weekends doing. I'd be more than happy to help.

... Ps. Budget is no matter.
Buy each and every venue you are going to shoot in. Install top notch, bright sun comparable LED lighting.
Then you could just use your cell phone (or D500) for shots.

Should fit easily in your budget. :)

Remember f/2.8 is great for low light (so is 1.8 and 1.4). But if you get too close then depth of field may start becoming an issue. If you are doing good keep learning that way.

There are the Sigma f/1.8 zooms or the more affordable 18-55/2.8 zoom.
The Nikon 35/1.8 and 50/1.8 primes are affordable, but you are limited to the fixed focal length. These are my 2 lenses for high school gym sports.

From what you have written, the 16-80 f/2.8-4 is about as good as you are going to do. You might try renting a 24-70 f/2.8 FX to see if you can live with that range but you will probably come up short on the wide end. Given how well the D500 does at high ISO I would just set it to MANUAL/auto ISO. Pick a shutter/aperture that gives me the stop action and DoF I need and SHOOT.

From what you have written, the 16-80 f/2.8-4 is about as good as you are going to do. You might try renting a 24-70 f/2.8 FX to see if you can live with that range but you will probably come up short on the wide end. Given how well the D500 does at high ISO I would just set it to MANUAL/auto ISO. Pick a shutter/aperture that gives me the stop action and DoF I need and SHOOT.

I agree with this.

If budget is really no option, look into a combination of the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 and the 50-100 f/1.8.

Get the AF-S 17-55mm f2.8 DX and speed shouldnt be an issue. Neither does image quality. Or build quality.

Weight of course is another matter, but you have a D500, so that should be fine.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back