Luxury Model homes for photo shoots

Status
Not open for further replies.

animotionphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'd like to offer free photos of luxury furnished homes for sale to realtors for their lisitngs in return for the place to shoot models at. I've called about 4 agents so far with no luck. It doesnt mean they won't it's just that some of them take the pics themselves or have other arragements. Female RE agents aren't friendly either, infact they're pretty bitchy. I usually have friendlier conversations with male agents. This, of course, comes from my past real estate business experience.

Has anyone tried this, or had success?

I'd like to offer free photos of luxury furnished homes for sale to realtors for their lisitngs in return for the place to shoot models at. I've called about 4 agents so far with no luck. It doesnt mean they won't it's just that some of them take the pics themselves or have other arragements. Female RE agents aren't friendly either, infact they're pretty bitchy. I usually have friendlier conversations with male agents. This, of course, comes from my past real estate business experience.

Has anyone tried this, or had success?

Think about it... they don't own the homes! Do you think the person / entity who does own the homes, wants you and other unknown people in there?

Last edited:
Well, for one, the agent would obviuosely inform the seller of the opportunity to have a professional photographer take shots of the home for the listing ad for free. Yes, if it was my home, I wouldnt have a problem with it, infact would welcome it. Many of these homes are also empty. I take it from your response, you've never had this idea before.

Luxurious house you said. Then hiring a pro shooting the real estate photo ($250-$500) is like nothing. The agent will make so much money out of the sale. It is like a drop in a bucket.

Ha! Just got a return call from an agent VERY interested in my offer. Set an appnt to see the house. Will keep posted.

Luxurious house you said. Then hiring a pro shooting the real estate photo ($250-$500) is like nothing. The agent will make so much money out of the sale. It is like a drop in a bucket.

Are you saying, the agent doesn't mind paying a few hundred dollars for a shoot, since she's gonna make so much money from her sales profit?

Are you saying, the agent doesn't mind paying a few hundred dollars for a shoot, since she's gonna make so much money from her sales profit?

If it is a luxurious house, yes (staged house).

I'm sure there are nice female RE agents. Kind of a rude stereotype to cast, don't you think?

Well, for one, the agent would obviuosely inform the seller of the opportunity to have a professional photographer take shots of the home for the listing ad for free. Yes, if it was my home, I wouldnt have a problem with it, infact would welcome it. Many of these homes are also empty. I take it from your response, you've never had this idea before.

No.. I usually try to stick to realistic ideas! There is no money in shooting Real Estate unless you get very lucky with high-end clients. And I never needed someplace to shoot.... as I have plenty of places to shoot already! :) I also am curious about the insurance aspect. Most ethical Real Estate agents have to sign a contract stating that they will not allow anyone in the house except for the purpose of showing it for sales purposes.

I would also suspect the majority of "Professional" Photographers would be willing to "rent" a house for a short time.. if needed for a shoot.

I see you are using a D90... do you have pro lenses (14-24, 24-70, or even tilt/shift for instance) needed for this type of shoot? How are you going to light the interior shots?

Last edited:
Seriously.. even when we bought our house when 90% chance we will own the house, the Realtor wont even give use the code to enter the house to show it to my in-laws. She has to come and open it for us. How are you going to shoot? Maybe he will be watching :D

Well, good luck with that. Every single RE agent I've spoken to in my area is perfecting happy with their crap P&S shots for their MLS listings. They have no comprehension or appreciation for the usefulness of pro REP for other applications like brochures, high-res slideshows, etc.. Kinda hard to break into the REP market when the market itself is non-existent.

I have $2500 worth of recently purchased tripod, head and UWA glass (14-24) sitting there ready for RE shoots collecting dust in my office. That's a cool feeling.

When I make the move to DFW in the immediate future, I'm sure things will pick up...

Good luck!

You could always work it so that you actually become an employee of the estate agency.

I know that in London there are a few agencies who have in-house (no pun intended) photographers on their payroll who are sent to new instructions specifically to take photos of the property for the marketing material. The photographer is then of course authorised to enter the house as an agency employee and is covered by the estate agency's liability insurance.

Let me disclose, I'm very frank and straight forward, and of course a noob, so let me apologize first. I'm quite surprised at the lack of business imagination coming from a group of people in the business of such. I've been a business owner over 15 years and am a member of other business message boards, and have not gotten such negative feedback on the "idea" subject. It seems everyone is doing the same thing as the next guy. This is usually a sign of the inability to either think out of the box, or competition protection.

One reason my main business is successful is because everyone else was doing the same thing and fighting over crumbs.

Cgipson1, "No.. I usually try to stick to realistic ideas!

I never asked you if you thought it was a good idea. I never asked anyone here on how to do it, or how to get into the house (schwettlyens). What I asked was if anyone had tried this or had success? I mentioned the agents were "bitchy" because I have experience in the RE business. Yes, it's a stereotype, because it's a generalization and well known fact most in the industry admit to.

@Schwettlylens: You didn't even own the house? Of course you're not gonna get the code. I think you should read the original post to understand.

Well, good luck with that. Every single RE agent I've spoken to in my area is perfecting happy with their crap P&S shots for their MLS listings. They have no comprehension or appreciation for the usefulness of pro REP for other applications like brochures, high-res slideshows, etc.. Kinda hard to break into the REP market when the market itself is non-existent.

I have $2500 worth of recently purchased tripod, head and UWA glass (14-24) sitting there ready for RE shoots collecting dust in my office. That's a cool feeling.

When I make the move to DFW in the immediate future, I'm sure things will pick up...

Good luck!

I think maybe it's your location. I'm in the Austin area, sooo. Yeah, I'm not trying to do business with RE agents. Been there, done that and was unpleasant. I just want to use an unoccupied luxurious home every once in a while to stage a shoot. Use their furniture, swimming pools, bathrooms as free props. In the time I started this thread, I've had two other agents call me back interested in my proposition. I think if you move to DFW, your income will change significantly depending on your plan of attack. There's people with BIG money there. Good luck as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back