M 4/3 Lens Duo Help

Kjar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Trying to making it a long story short, I'm currently looking at buying the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II body. After much research I feel like I should invest in the: M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO Lens. My space is extremely limited and so, in effect, my kit; two lenses is my max.

MY main question is: does the M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO Lens have a weakness that another lens could compensate/compliment? Or is this just a good, all around lens for a tenderfoot?

I've considered both zoom lenses and prime lenses and wanted someone who actually knew what they're talking.

My long (ish) story: Help with camera purchase for deployment | Photography Forum

Without trying to be smart why not get the 12-40 and then after a time of use see if you need something else. My friend has this lens and swears by it, I've seen very nice photos that have come from using it.

In my opinion, the only reason one would choose a different lens as the first lens in one’s kit, is cost. That doesn't seem to be an issue for you, I guess, so you can be confident in purchasing this lens. I don’t have any experience with it myself, but it seems like the best standard zoom you can get. There may be technically better prime lenses, but that may or may not matter—you really have to try it yourself. If there is any rental company in your country, or a store that will let you return the lens if you’re just not happy with it, make good use of it.

Just to clarify, when I said use it and see do you need something else, I meant as a second lens, obviously one doesn't buy the best kit lens possible for a system to be chopping and changing down the road

So general concensus thus far, can't go wrong with the 12-40. Fill in the gap later, if it needs filling.

I have a 12-35 Panasonic 2.8 and 35-100 Panasonic 2.8 for my OMD-5 and that gives me the exact range I had on my Nikons.(24-7-,70-200 equivalents)

I have a 12-35 Panasonic 2.8 and 35-100 Panasonic 2.8 for my OMD-5 and that gives me the exact range I had on my Nikons.(24-7-,70-200 equivalents)

That 35-100 Panasonic seems like a nice piece of glass.

Amazon package en route with one Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II with the 12-40 lens AND the 45mm. I feel like the 45mm prime lens compliments the focal length of the 12-40 and gives me a good prime with portraiture/macro capabilities. I see myself eventually completing my kit with a telephoto lens. I'm telling myself I'm going to get the Olympus 40-150 f/2.8 but thats one expensive piece of glass ESPECIALLY when I could just get the f/4.0-5.6 for $99. Slower, albeit, but I'm not a proffesional.

That will be a nice kit. I like my EM5, version II will be better. That 45mm is a cracker also. Enjoy

HOORAY IT'S HERE!
My first impressions were stellar. I was blown away by Olympus and the quality of the camera and lenses. The body is silver, sleek and sexy. Its sturdy yet not heavy and the 12-40 pro is a satisfylingly hefty lens. I'm extremely satisfied with my purchase, or should I say, investment.

The Camera and lenses:
20150904_085744.jpg
20150904_090746.jpg

The passing of the torch from one camera to the other. Still learning to focus properly
OI000012.jpg

And my first good image; a candid shot of my roomate.
OI000057.jpg

Most reactions

Back