Mac desk top

What will it cost? " A truck load"
When will be bath water be changed? " 12 to 24 months'
Whats different? "The marketing"
Do I need the top end model to do photo editing? "No"
What do you use? "an iMac"

Apple's changing their file structure with the next OS upgrade, that to me is the question. Do I want to upgrade my computer now so I can hang on to the last OS for a couple of years while the new files structure works the kinks out. Or, the new file structure sure sounds like it will have a lot of benefits, security wise and I know I will eventually need to ripoff the band aid and update so is sooner the better?

I've been debating this question all summer not wanting to deal with a bunch of bugs with all my external hard drives and don't see how there is a known answer to this question.

Edit: I should mention I am a firm believer if moving to the new OS to wait for the first hardware update after it's been released for buying a new computer

Are you asking if you should wait for the iMac pro? Because the iMac just refreshed in June.

If you're looking to spend over $5k on the iMac pro then wait. If you're looking for the latest regular iMac then it's already been released and won't be refreshed again for some time.

. If you're looking for the latest regular iMac then it's already been released and won't be refreshed again for some time.

maybe, but the OS is going to be updated this fall with the new APFS and my cynical belief are once that happens, hardware bought after that update will have a bit more lifespan. this is not just another OS update it will also have h265 and my guess is future hardware will be optimized better for h265 as well as the APFS

. If you're looking for the latest regular iMac then it's already been released and won't be refreshed again for some time.

maybe, but the OS is going to be updated this fall with the new APFS and my cynical belief are once that happens, hardware bought after that update will have a bit more lifespan. this is not just another OS update it will also have h265 and my guess is future hardware will be optimized better for h265 as well as the APFS

Maybe, but the new iMac with that hardware will be the iMac pro at $4,999 starting price.

I highly doubt the new regular iMac will refresh within the next year.

what do you mean maybe, APFS and the new OS is already out being beta tested by the public? Yes the iMac Pro will be introduced for December but that won't be the new iMac we are waiting to see if that's replacing the Mac Pro ( a December release date sure sounds like an 2018 delivery)

I disagree that you buy computer, especially for photography, "when you need them" unless there was an accident or they were stolen. You buy with the idea of longevity because as you pointed out maxed out computer for imaging costs $$$$

The unknown is whether the bugs and headaches with the new system will make a business wish they had bought before the update?

what do you mean maybe, APFS and the new OS is already out being beta tested by the public? Yes the iMac Pro will be introduced for December but that won't be the new iMac we are waiting to see if that's replacing the Mac Pro ( a December release date sure sounds like an 2018 delivery)

I disagree that you buy computer, especially for photography, "when you need them" unless there was an accident or they were stolen. You buy with the idea of longevity because as you pointed out maxed out computer for imaging costs $$$$

The unknown is whether the bugs and headaches with the new system will make a business wish they had bought before the update?

The OP asked if he should wait for the new iMac or get a deal now.

The answer is that a new iMac likely won't be released until next summer at the VERY soonest. At that rate he may as well wait and get a back to school deal next year.

Based on the way the OP worded the question I would surmise that waiting a year or more for the new iMac isn't what he meant.

The iMac was literally just refreshed. Anyone who is in the market for a computer at this time probably isn't interested in waiting a year or more for another refresh.

Apple's changing their file structure with the next OS upgrade, that to me is the question. Do I want to upgrade my computer now so I can hang on to the last OS for a couple of years while the new files structure works the kinks out.

Using the new file structure is a no brainer. I'm running the beta and there are absolutely no issues from the file system. Its actually improved performance.

Most reactions

Back