Mac Problem, Advice

JohnMF

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
My friends Mac laptop has just broke. Basically, it switches on, but when it gets to the grey start up screen with the revolving circle thing (sorry, not very technical description). it just stays on this screen and wont completely boot up.

She's really upset about it because all her photos are on there and now she can't access them.

She's described the problem over the phone to the Apple Shop and they just say all your photos are lost and you need a new hard drive and more memory. I can't see it being a memory problem though, i think they're just trying to get a few quid out of her.

Anyone else had this problem? Does it mean the hard drives knackered or is there a way to recover files off a Mac hard drive somehow?

When she goes to start it up, connect it to another computer (preferably a Mac) and on her computer hold T. This will boot it up in Firewire transfer mode, and have it used as a external drive.

Transfer all the important data, then, do a complete clean install on the system.

Or, take out the hard drive, put it in a case, transfer all the data off of it, and do a wipe and install.

Does that help?

Try booting up from the system disk that came with the computer.
Insert the disk and restart holding down 'c'.
The computer should boot up from the CD - then use the Disk Utility to check everything.
If that doesn't work then re-install the OS. This will not affect any data on the HD but it is always best to back up first. Use the method outlined in the previous post to do this.
Mac's rarely crash if they are maintained properly. Download Onyx from the Mac site (it's free) - it's an invaluable utility that helps sort out problems before they start.

both great ideas.

I will tell her to dig out the original system disk and try booting it from that. If that doesn't work i will try the Firewire transfer mode

I have a Macbook myself so i could connect that to it, but i have OS-X and hers is a slightly older OS, i think (not sure if that will make any difference).

I'll give that Onyx software a try myself, sounds good

cheers

As long as it's 10.X, it should be fine. I hooked from 10.4 to 10.2 without a problem.

If using the disc works, she might want to just backup her data then do a clean install, just to clear up any bugs.

yes i think it is 10.x . thanks

Always worth a try just starting up holding down the shift key - safe boot mode. This sometimes works without having to connect up elsewhere. If not the original boot disk should work. Good luck!

cheers fang

Hertz - is Onyx only available for OS-X Leopard? i have tiger and it doesn't seem to work

Once you are up and running - it is worth every so often doing a safe boot - going to Applications - Utilities - Disk Utilities and running "repair permissions". Rather like holding down the option and control keys up to system 9 to rebuild directories.

You have to remember that OSX (all systems designated 10 - Jaguar, Panther, Tiger) are Unix coded. They are designed to be running 24/7 and Mac does recommend that you do this.
The reason is that the system runs various scripts automatically (in the small hours) daily, weekly and monthly. These scripts perform housecleaning and self-diagnostics. If you keep turning your Mac off these scripts don't get to run so problems can build up.
Onyx allows you to force these scripts to run whenever you want. It also allows you to rebuild permissions easily, clean out caches and do lots of other things.
Care should be taken, though, as you can clean out things you don't want to like WEP keys and stuff.
You can run all of these functions using Terminal but Onyx makes it easy by giving you a graphic interface.
Anyone with a Mac who doesn't have Onyx installed is missing out on the most useful tool since the Leatherman!

If you are running on System 9 then you need to rebuild the desktop weekly - stuff builds up in there and the Mac will grind to a halt eventually. Nortons also used to do a utility proram that you booted up from and it worked better than First Aid for trouble shooting.
I think I still have a copy somewhere...

You have to remember that OSX (all systems designated 10 - Jaguar, Panther, Tiger) are Unix coded. They are designed to be running 24/7 and Mac does recommend that you do this.
The reason is that the system runs various scripts automatically (in the small hours) daily, weekly and monthly. These scripts perform housecleaning and self-diagnostics. If you keep turning your Mac off these scripts don't get to run so problems can build up.
Onyx allows you to force these scripts to run whenever you want. It also allows you to rebuild permissions easily, clean out caches and do lots of other things.
Care should be taken, though, as you can clean out things you don't want to like WEP keys and stuff.
You can run all of these functions using Terminal but Onyx makes it easy by giving you a graphic interface.
Anyone with a Mac who doesn't have Onyx installed is missing out on the most useful tool since the Leatherman!

If you are running on System 9 then you need to rebuild the desktop weekly - stuff builds up in there and the Mac will grind to a halt eventually. Nortons also used to do a utility proram that you booted up from and it worked better than First Aid for trouble shooting.
I think I still have a copy somewhere...

Onyx is fantastic!

Could it be the logic board? We had several hundred apple notebooks in our school and about 1/3 of them had logic board issues.

Most reactions

Back